How much should I charge for babysitting?

I really haven't done any baby sitting for money since I was in high school, I have just watched some family members kids since. I am going to be babysitting two almost 2yr olds and one 6yr old on a Friday night for about 6-7hours. I told them I would watch their kids and they want to know what my hourly rate is which I wasn't thinking about at the time. Does anyone know how much I should charge or what the going rate is?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:51 PM on Jul. 12, 2009 in Money & Work

• Look up nanny services on craigslist in your area and see what others are charging. Make it a real business. Since they are your friends, don't overcharge them but also don't sell yourself short. You can make a decent living, especially if people are asking for your services!
    hopelessnance

Answer by hopelessnance at 6:12 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Typical with the babysitters around here, it's anywhere from $5 - $12 an hour.
    I would probably choose a middle ground.. and since they're more than 1 kid, you could always do a "group" rate. For instance, one kid, you'd probably charge about $8, and 2-3 would be $14. *shrugs*
    Just an idea?
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 6:21 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• No less than $10.00 an hour.
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 8:36 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I would charge atleast $10 an hour.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:37 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I agree with KSaawyers answer!!! $14/hour for THREE children (which includes diaper changes and feedings = a lot more work than just "playing with them!"

About TWENTY YEARS AGO I was paid $75- $100 per night to watch 3 boys (depending on the total hours) from toddler to school age!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:48 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• The rates very greatly from state to state and city to rural area. Especially if you are an adult, I would expect around $10-$12 (that's what the professional sitters on sittercity.com said they would charge me).
    momtokate

Answer by momtokate at 8:52 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• If they are good friends, and you also have children, you might consider just trading sitting services. No, you won't get anything financial out of it this time, but you'll know that you have a sitter next time you'd like some alone time with your hubby. (Trusting these individuals with your children is also an obvious necessity in this plan.)

If you think it's best to charge them (and there are good cases for this too), I'd start with $5/hr and then consider number of children and difficulty of children and add a dollar for each situation. It sounds like you have twins plus a six year old, so in my mind it would be $5 + $2 +$2 (those twins will likely be a lot of work). Personally, I'd likely round down to $8 if it's just a once in a while favor and up to $10 if it's a fairly frequent thing.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 11:02 AM on Jul. 13, 2009