Finger waves and pin curls

I want to try them, but I have no idea how to do them, and everything I've found so far on the internet have been the most confusing "explanations" imaginable.

kittyhasclaws

Asked by kittyhasclaws at 5:58 PM on Jul. 12, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• I went to beauty school for a bit and remember doing finger waves. You need a finger wave gel/solution. Get a fine-tooth comb (a long narrow one).
    How to do it:
    Comb the solution in your hair. Putting your hand flat against your head with your pointer finger and middle finger separated, insert the comb into your hair between your fingers and pull it either forward towards your face or backward. When that wave is in, move down, laying your hand over the top of the last wave to keep it from moving and open your two fingers again and insert the comb between them. This time pull the comb OPPOSITE direction from the last time. Repeat this procedure until you run out of scalp area to rest your hand against. (you can't finger wave loose hair that I know of)

For pin curls, simply section off a piece of wet hair (with or without setting lotion) and start rolling it up from the end (like a cinnamon roll) when at the end, clip.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 6:08 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I would add that pin curls can be tiny and tight or bigger and more wavy depending on the size of the hair sectioned off. Also, you can try twisting the hair first before rolling it up for a different effect. Use flat clips to hold or bobby pins in an X shape.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 6:11 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• it takes A LOT of effort and practice to do fingerwaves. my mom used to do them on me but they take forever and hurt your hands.
    trepsica

Answer by trepsica at 7:02 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Treps, I'm willing to go through the pain of it to get nifty hair for a night- plus, it will give me alone time! I'm pretty sure with the length of my hair pin curls will be the way to go, though.

Timelessglass, thank you so much! Your description is so much better than the others I've read online.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 8:44 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• If you're REALLY in for some "hard" work, you can wave the length of your hair by placing a board underneath the hair... But that would take an extra person. I did it ONCE in beauty school for a project and I will never do it again!
    brighteyesbryar

Answer by brighteyesbryar at 1:27 AM on Jul. 13, 2009