How can I get my son to stop screaming when we try to cut his hair?

My son is 2.5, and we have tried giving him toys to play with, DVDs to watch, and even sitting on my lap. He SCREAMS so loud and puts his hands on his head and says "it hurts"...meaning he thinks it's going to hurt. His hair is so long and it needs to be cut, any suggestions would help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:22 PM on Jun. 22, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't want to scare you, but maybe you should check him for autism. My son is autistic, and this is what he does, and has done since he had hair to cut. Autistic kids, they have different sensory areas, that to them, it does actually hurt. It's hard to explain, but you should check that out. If he does happen to be autistic, I give my son a lollipop, or promise him a treat and he does better, although not great. If he isn't, you could try the same thing, it might work just as well. Hate to scare you, but I hope it works out for you.
    NomadSara

Answer by NomadSara at 12:50 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• It is normal.
    njoynlife

Answer by njoynlife at 12:57 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• You'll just have to keep trying. Maybe you could put a mirror in front of him so he can see what you're doing. And start by using scissors instead of clippers, in case the noise scares him. We also put the clippers up to my son's hand so he could feel that it tickles. Good luck!
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 12:58 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• My son did that too. He did it till he was about 3.5. they are scared of the confinement, sounds and fact that they HAVE to remain still. It's NOT natural and not normal to do that at that age. I know it's upsetting for you and everyone around during the haircut but it won't happen for much longer. Stick it out for just a bit longer Momma...he's a normal kid!
    Hugs!
    Shele
    SHELEBELLE

Answer by SHELEBELLE at 4:55 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Kids can have sensory related issues withot being autistic. A lot of kids are just scarded of the unknown. They know that scissors will hurt you, so they think that cutting your hair is just going to naturally hurt.Prob, after a few times he will realize that there is nothing to it. It may help if you try to trim it first. Good luck!!
    redtang912

Answer by redtang912 at 8:07 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• My father is a barber and I've seen him deal with this a lot in 35 years. Children love him, though. Maybe you just haven't found someone your child "clicks" with. That is very important if he is afraid. If you cut his hair at home, try to do it in the tub. I have a friend who does that and it works well for her.... just be careful!! Good Luck!
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 9:49 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• my son, who is NOT autistic, does the same thing. i found the best thing for my son is to have the barber use the clippers and shave most of it off real quick, we end up with a few long stragglers but it is the best i have come up with.
    BRANDYLANGLEY

Answer by BRANDYLANGLEY at 10:16 PM on Jul. 7, 2008