What are your grandparent names?

My husband and I are expecting our first child and he/she will be the first grandchild for mine and his parents. None of them have picked out grandparent name and we don't really want to use the same as we use for our grandparents as they are still living. What grandparent names do you use?

lilkgfan

Asked by lilkgfan at 6:25 PM on Jul. 12, 2009 in Just for Fun

• We don't use anything yet. We think that it is the choice of the child what they decide to call one of them. Right now its grandpa or grandma so-and-so. The only one who has taken it upon themselves to make a name is my mother, and its "Oma" because that is grandma in german (which we are).
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 6:27 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• My parents are just Grandma and Grandpa but if he picks something else it is OK. DH's parents are Nana and Papa which they picked and I think both are stupid.
    fairyinabubble

Answer by fairyinabubble at 6:31 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• No offense to anyone who uses Nana and Papa but they just seem like older grandparents names to me and his parents aren't that old.
    fairyinabubble

Answer by fairyinabubble at 6:33 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• We let our son pick what he would call them. My parents are Mama & Papa which they love (they told us they feel younger hearing him call them that) DH parents are Grandpa & 'Daddys mom' (she has never really spent time w him so he refuses to call her anything besides that even when we correct him)
    He calls his great grandparents Nana & Papa & GG (initials for Great Grandma)
    Anonymous

• grandma and grandpa _______ 1st name. Used their real names since birth so even B4 they could speak they knew who was who, could point, etc. My Mom's name is Valerie and she's called Grandma Wally..... the movie "Wal E" came out at a confusing time for my kids.... so thats what they've called her and now friends/family do it too
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:42 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• We have Grandma and Pawpaw (my parents) and Nana and Papa (his parents). My kids weren't the first grandkids on either side, so their names were already set =) Pawpaw and Papa get a bit confusing at times, but unfortunately they don't see my husband's parents much (because of distance), so it's not that big of an issue.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 6:44 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Mawmaw, Nanna, Pawpaw, Papa, Memaw, and i call my grandmother twinkle toes i always have since i was little.
    ggiovanni

Answer by ggiovanni at 7:04 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Nanaw, Papaw, (Husband' s Grandparents) Gigi (Great Grandma), Mimi (I just like that one), Nana, Papa, (My parents) Granny and Pops (My husband's parents). Granny kinda bothers me because that is what my 43 year old MIL wants to be called. My parents are about ten years older. It just makes her sign so old.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 7:08 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• My son says MeaMaw & PeaPop haha:) We all called our grandparents that in my family
    SammiTaylorTM

Answer by SammiTaylorTM at 7:14 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• my parents are nana(like banana) and grandpa and my stepdad is papa. my dh's parents dont have anything to do with our dd so they arent anything to her.
    emmalouwho

Answer by emmalouwho at 7:47 PM on Jul. 12, 2009