• In the Spotlight:

Does anyone else think it is BS that you have to have a college degree to get a high paying job?

Here is my story my dh went to two years of college at a really good school and then his dad died and he started working three jobs to help his mom out and kept going to school however he has a medical problem that made it get to a point where he had to drop something and he chose to help his mother thinking he could finish college later. During that time we met and I got pregnant so he has been working 50 hour weeks to support us while he has put his dreams on hold. He is one of the smartest most hardworking dedicated people I have ever met but,. His reviews at his job the last two years have been the highest score you can get but he cannot move up in the company because he doesn’t have a degree and I just think that’s bull shit! Anyone else agree that it should not have to be a necessity? People should go to college I think it’s a good thing I just hate that has become a necessity in this country. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:48 PM on Jul. 12, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• yeah i do but it is even more bullshit when u spend all the money to go and have the degrees and they tell u , u r over qualified
    Anonymous

• As someone that has a BA I agree that it is BS. There are people that have much higher paying jobs than I do, and don't have the degree or education I have. It is a common misconception that you make more money just because you go to college.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 6:50 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Thats how alot of companies are but not all. Maybe he should find another company to do what he does in.
    It's their option but i don't think as a matter of fact it has to be.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 6:53 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Many people would be better off in trade school or in apprenticeships than going to college. My welder friend made $120,000 last year. My teacher friend made $28,000. My hairdresser made $75,000. Who paid the most for school and which salary would you like to have? LOL
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 6:54 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I THINK IT'S DEPRESSING. tHERE ARE PEOPLE THAT HAVE NO BRAINS THAT SOMEHOW LAND GOOD JOBS AND HARDWORKING, INTELLIGENT PEOPLE THAT GET PASSED ON....
    ranedare

Answer by ranedare at 6:55 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Well, I got schooling thru the Army. (AIT) when I got out of the Army I was able to land a great job (18.15per hour, 8 hours a day mon thru fri) I dont work anymore so its besides the point, I am currently a sahm going to school full time. I knew a girl who was a manager for one of the cell phone companies, she made more in a year then her mom, her mom was a principal! How sad is that! Her dd didnt have a degree while she had a masters degree!
    mamaof32007

Answer by mamaof32007 at 7:04 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• We have a business.

My husband started 11 yrs. ago.

He only had 2 yrs. of college and then quit.

Up until a yr. ago he was doing basically all administrative and managerial stuff there, with 13 employees. He was so busy that planning and creating new product ideas was suffering, plus he was working 60 hrs. a week, for 11 yrs.

Now he has a new manager, and the manager makes 45K a year +3% of profit.
    He has no college degree. Just smart and trainable.

In college, I took some business, accounting, consumer psychology, economics and marketing classes. I am able to contribute to the company, idea and knowledge-wise, because of those classes. I wanted my husband to require that the new hire take the same classes I had taken. My husband said no for now. The new manager had worked there a year and my husband said he was smart enough to train. I think chances like this are rare, but happen. Depends on the person, I gu
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 7:11 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I think Bachelors of today are like Associates of the 1990's. More and more people have Bachelors, that employers can expect to pay less salary~ because of the high inventory of people with degrees. I think someone with no degree has less chance of getting a job compared to one with a degree. jmo... I think in today's econ. employers can pay people with Masters less.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:11 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• well the most successful people in the country don't have college degrees at all, but then again they don't have JOBS...they are usually entrepreneurs or inventors of some sort...it is BS that it is hard for people to find a good high paying job if they don't go to college, but my DHs dad makes great pay at a job he is supposed to have a college degree to have...he worked his way up from the bottom and now he is the boss, without a degree...most the employees that work "under" him have to have a degree to even be considered for the job...i guess it just depends on what type of job you are going for...
    Kimra

Answer by Kimra at 7:12 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• ess.
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 7:13 PM on Jul. 12, 2009