how old was your kiddo when they were Christened or baptised?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 7:19 PM on Jul. 12, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• My daughter has not been baptized yet as she is not of an age to which she can understand the ultimate sacrifice that Jesus made for her and therefore can not accept Him into her heart. However, I recently had her dedicated as a proclamation that I would raise her to know and fear the Lord so that when she is capable of making the choice to accept Jesus as her Lord and Saviour, she will know what it means to be a follower of Christ. She was 18 months old by the way.
    HaydensMommy007

Answer by HaydensMommy007 at 2:31 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• #1 was 9 months (we had to take a course and finding one with space available took a while)

#2 was 6 weeks

#3 was 6 months
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 8:04 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• #1 was 4 years old

#2 was 5 years old

#3 was 6 years old

We don't believe in Baptizing before the child is old enough to understand right from wrong. They should reach the age of accountability first. Also, they must be SAVED first then Baptized.
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 8:35 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• My kids are 6 1/2 years old, 3 1/2 years old and 22 months old. None of them are being Baptized. I do not believe in any such rituals. I believe religion and faith are personal and it isn't my job to try to sway or force my children to follow any specific belief structure.

anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 8:41 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• My son will be 8 months when he is Baptised.

A believer can be Baptised or the children of believers can be baptised. We veiw baptism as a covenant between the parents of a the child and God as parallel to Genesis 17:10 where God commanded that every infant of 8 days old must be circumcised as a sign of his covenant with his people. Certainly those 8 day old infants did not know right from wrong. It is rather a covenant between the parents and God based on the existing relationship with God that the parents have. Being old enough to understand right from wrong is not a prerequisite to be a member of the Christian church and community which is what we believe Baptism is symbolic of. We believe that instead of circumscision, Baptism is the sign of the NEW covenant with God (Matt 28:19) and likewise, Baptise our infants as they circumscised their infants.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 8:58 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• There is no exclusive commandment that dictates the mode or age of Baptism. Baptism does not save your soul. It is not something I think Christians should divide yourself over. My church does both credobaptism and paedobaptism. We will sprinkle or immerse. Whatever the individual and their family are comfortable with :-)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 8:59 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• 8 weeks, 4 weeks, and 5 weeks. As active members there were no classes.  We shoot for 40 days as that was when Jesus was taken to the temple to do for him what was the custom although He was baptized as adult.

Anonymous

• He hasn't been baptized yet, but he will be when he is 8. I'm LDS (Mormon) We wait until the child is 8 or older and is able to understand what they are doing and it's also about the age they start understanding right from wrong.
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 9:52 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• they were baptised into the Methodist Church the same day. Kitten was two years old and Pumpkin was three months. They both were baptized as adults by their own choice

mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 11:52 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• As a Catholic, the baby is normally baptised within the first month or two of life. My son was 2 months old when he was baptised. My cousin was a few days old because she was born 10 weeks early and they didn't think she would live and in the Catholic faith, a person must be baptised to go to Heaven. She was baptised a few months after she was released from the NICU.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:49 AM on Jul. 13, 2009