Post Partum Bleeding...Is this normal?

I'm 15 days postpartum and I'm still bleeding very heavily. I was passing golf ball and larger size clots at the hospital so they kept me an extra day because with my 1st birth I had a severe postpartum hemmoragh and my doctor said in very rare cases women can hemmoragh days or even weeks after giving birth. She said it's extremely rare but so was the severity of my pph the 1st time.

Anyway I started passing clots again 2 days ago. Then yesterday the bleeding turned dark like the end of a period but today it's back to the bright red color and very heavy again.

I'm currently on my 5th pack of pads (45 pad pack) since I've been home. My doc said to nurse on demand to decrease bleeding and I have been but it's still heavy.

Is all this normal?

I was supposed to have my 2 week postpartum check up this past week but the doc had an emergency so they rescheduled it for this next week.

Thanks in advance..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:26 PM on Jul. 12, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I'd see your doc asap. bleeding 2 weeks out is normal but it shouldn't be that heavy still...or at least call your doc's office and ask a nurse about it.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 7:28 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• How often are you changing your pad, if you are changing at least one an hour, I would call L& D, and ask the nursing staff.. This could be a concern and I would call the hospital. I passed golf ball size clots too but it was within days of giving birth, not weeks...
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:30 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I am bleeding heavy off and on and I'm 4 weeks postpartum right now....It gets really bright red..then it turns back dark...I'm having the same issues...I just dont know what is SUPPOSE to happen...But if you are concerned at all, call ur doctor!! Dont wanna take any chances!
    HayHayMarie2009

Answer by HayHayMarie2009 at 7:36 PM on Jul. 12, 2009