My son is AFRAID to poop?!?!

OK, he is 3 and he has no problem peeing in the potty, or any where for that matter. But when it comes to pooping, that is another story. When he gets the urge he will hold it in until the urge goes away. He does this until the poop just sort of blows out. I used to have him trained, and then we had some huge problems in the house and really messed some things up, and now he is afraid to poop. I have no idea why or what to do. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks in advance.

krissyvelazquez

Asked by krissyvelazquez at 7:32 PM on Jul. 12, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• This is SO VERY COMMON that there are quite a few storybooks for kids on this issue. I suggest you get some as a starting point - Everyone Poops and Where's the Poop are quite popular.

Then:
    (1) Make sure he does not get constipated. A good diet with fiber, plenty of water, and not too much milk. Daily Miralax if needed.
    (2) After every easy poop, comment on how easy that looked. Help him to realize it doesn't hurt.
    (3) Let him know it's OK for now to ask for and use a pullup. Ask him to sit in the bathroom - on a step stool, the floor, or the potty when he has to go.
    (4) Once his fear is easing, ask him to sit on the potty and go in his pullup.
    (5) Eventually let him work up to sitting on the potty to go.

Think of something you are afraid of - spiders perhaps. How long and how many baby steps would it take to get you to hold one in your hand? Keep that in mind as he conquers this fear.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:51 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I have no idea! I cant give you much help since my three year old isnt even potty trained, we are trying! But its like he doesnt even care!
    mamaof32007

Answer by mamaof32007 at 7:43 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I'm in the same boat. My daughter will hold it for a couple of days until she's so constipated that she's screaming in pain. Then she really doesn't want to go! She eventually goes in her nighttime diaper. So frustrating. Wish I knew how to help!
    lovinmystar

Answer by lovinmystar at 10:17 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Well, could be a number of things. But it is not unusual. Sometimes kids think that the thing that plopped into the toilet is a "part" of them! They don't want to lose it, I guess. How long has he been doing this? If there are "issues" in the home, this could be the cause of a change in bathroom habits. Kids are so sensitive to stimuli around them and it affects them differently than is does adults. Just hang in there; sooner or later he has to just let go! Good luck.
    grammy49

Answer by grammy49 at 11:12 AM on Jul. 13, 2009