For those with children who are bi racial I have a question please!?!?!?!

I had to enroll my 3 year old in school last week. I am white and my husband is Hispanic. When I was filling out the paper work, the lady asked me if we were Hispanic, our last name is very Hispanic. lol. I said my husband is. she said I should put Hispanic for my children s race because it will help them in the future with scholarships. Is this true? Or did I stereotype my kids by putting that they are Hispanic? Im not sure if I did the right thing? I hope I don't offend anyone. Any advice would be great! I just never thought about what I would put until that moment!

mamaof32007

Asked by mamaof32007 at 7:37 PM on Jul. 12, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• There are a few college grants for minority children.
    Anonymous

• it will help them out but honestly it dont really do anything, those are private records anyways.... my son are and I am white and my last name isnt ebven the same as theres
    Anonymous

• I'm white, and my children are mexican/white. I put their ethnicity as being hispanic on legal documents and school records.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 9:23 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Your children's racial identity will ultimately be decided by them, each one as an individual will decide what how they choose to define their race and ethnicity. It really does mean different things to different people. For official purposes it depends on what you are wanting for them. As of right now Mexican-Americans are under represented in achievement, historical education in our schools.....in many areas. Standing up to be counted lets those in higher positions know that it is time to include that part of our history in all aspects of our services. It can also give your children a source of pride (as well as the other parts of who they are). There are some scholarships available but beyond schooling.....it is more about pride and a sense of belonging. It is also all in how your attitude and husband's attitude is towards that diversity in your very multicultural family. It is a wonderful blessing.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:26 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• That's a tough one. Technically, yes it CAN help them in the long run but preschool is not going to make a difference once it comes time to apply for college anyway. On the other hand, it can also stereotype them. If they happen to do bad on the SATs or whatever and they are labled as minority...well you get the picture. I'm half white/mexican and have always marked "other" or "decline to respond" and will most likely do the same for my son who is half black.
    Anonymous

• In the long run, yes often being a minority gives you access to certain scholarships etc. DOes it matter what you put in the papers now? NOPE. I think my cuz didn't even become "Hispanic" until high school.
    BTW, Hispanic is an ETHNICITY NOT a RACE.
    So what if people think he's one thing or the other?? At first glance people go by looks. If they see the name first they are going to assume hispanic anyways. And no matter what he will be a statistic.
    and if they do bad on SAT's or whatever they did bad period regardless of whether they are a minority or not. Acutally I've read b/f of minorities getting almost like a "weighted" SAT score when it comes to college entrance.
    I'm hispanic and haven't had an issue, in fact at college time I had universities chasing me down b/c I was a hispanic female and they wanted me at their school. My children's father is AA and when I reg. him for school I put H-ethnicity B/W race
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 11:50 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• mine are bi-racial and i make other even tho there last name is haspanic.
    AJSCASJMSmom

Answer by AJSCASJMSmom at 12:08 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I always put down my daughter is bi-racial so that it might help her in the future.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:08 AM on Jul. 13, 2009