When do you potty train a girl?

My DD is almost 1, which I know is too young to start potty training, but when do girls usually learn? 2?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:10 PM on Jul. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• Whenever the child starts showing signs that they are ready. Gender has nothing to do with it.
    Cherrie522

Answer by Cherrie522 at 8:10 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Anywhere from about 2 to 3 and a half normally. Don't rush. She needs to be ready, and know she needs to go before she goes.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 8:11 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• My daughter basically trained herself while I was working on training her older brother. She was about 16 months old. I agree it has to do when she's ready, and there are signs to watch for...like her knowing she needs to go. Check out the potty-training picture books from your library, or bookstore, and read them with your kid every now and then, just so she can be familiar with the process, and if she wants to try sitting on the potty, encourage her, but don't push. It's a process, and every child is different.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 8:42 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• My oldest was 2 years and 8 months when I started. She had been sitting on the toilet since she was 18 months, and sometimes peed, but mostly for fun. She would sit there and read books :-)
    It took about two weeks and she was good. There are both emotional and physical signs to look for, and everyone is not the same.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 9:29 PM on Jul. 12, 2009