How much do you spend on your children at Christmas?

I don't want my kids to have the wrong idea about Christmas. Yes, it is tradition to sit around the tree and open gifts Christmas morning, but that's not all it's about. And I also don't want them thinking they are 'supposed' to get a bunch of stuff. I didn't have any money at all last year for Christmas because I lost my job three weeks before then. And this year I was thinking of doing things a little differently. I was thinking that instead of giving them gifts, maybe I could give them the money and then take them shopping for whatever they want. I have three kids, so I was thinking that maybe around one hundred, or one fifty, is a good amount for each of them. On the other hand, I like the tradition of them making me a list (they know Santa isn't real) and I get them the top three things on that list, and they open it on Christmas....what do you ladies think?

chavela_carlita

Asked by chavela_carlita at 8:31 PM on Jul. 12, 2009 in Just for Fun

• id say one large gift bout 100 bucks and then a few little things like if a girl some makeup or dress up clothes or if 2 young for that stuff just little toys so 150-175 each child
    preggoinmn

Answer by preggoinmn at 8:34 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• i like the list idea and gettin the top 3 things i might try that this year=)....and we usually spend a 100 a piece on the kids but not sure if we gonna do that this year, its not that we cant afford to but dont them to think that more is better and also they have more than enough toys games ect....im thinking maybe75 a piece is a good number for younger kids
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 8:38 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I aim for $75-$100 each but usually go a little over when adding in little things I pick up at the Dollar store or at Target. I have 4 kids so it gets pricey. But we also don't buy for adults. Me and hubby don't get anything.
    When we were poor (well, poorer then we are now) I did all 4 of them on $200. That's $50 per kid and they didn't even notice the difference, lol. I bought small things and wrapped each one separately so it looked like they were getting a lot.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:43 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• well i have only one child...i set a hundred aside for jus her christmas presents but some how that 100 turned into 180....oops....what can i say she was 1 and i had a good job....
    kuuipo317

Answer by kuuipo317 at 8:46 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• ummm we spend to much oney around chrismas. last year we spend around 700.00 yea i no thats alot. when i was growing up i didnt get uch at all , and i want y boys to have a better childhood then i did. but keep in mind i start christmas shopping at the end of august.
    aprilsalcro

Answer by aprilsalcro at 8:47 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• OMG, now I feel very silly- I spent 2000.00 on each of my two children. I guess I do this because they have no extended family, so I buy things from Santa, Aunts, Uncles, Grandparents, and myself. I should probably stop this before they get too old.

Anonymous

• My mom got us what she wanted us to have throughout the year. (And then forgot that she got some things, so we got "late" Christmas gifts) Then she also let us pick out about $100 worth of clothes. With 3 girls this was a great thing. So we got the best of both worlds. Oh and "Santa" left a big/pricy/ or what we just had to have item in each of our rocking chairs. Then we all had coffee cake. It was great. My Dad would play "Santa" even now if we go home he still does. And it was a tradition that we all decoratted the living room and tree. Christmas and Thanksgiving had lots of traditions that made them special, and the presents were only a part of it.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 9:18 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• MY hubby and I decide that we only give two presents each year. We always have four or five christmas parties to go to, and the grandarents and great grandparents always spend too much. We need to drive our truck just so we can take stuff home LOL.
    SolaraDarkset

Answer by SolaraDarkset at 9:44 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• My kids are teenagers now. We spend about $2000 on each. It's Christmas. One of the 2 days out of the year we get to spoil them rotten. And no one gets to say a thing about it.
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 10:23 PM on Jul. 12, 2009