How do I get him to start walking?

My son is fifteen months old. He can walk - when he wants to. The problem is, he doesn't want to very often, or if he does, someone has to hold his hand. It's not a problem with balance, it's a problem with his confidence. We've figured out that he's afraid he's going to fall. How do we help him get over his fear? (With every other milestone, he's been ahead of schedule.)

supermommy613

Asked by supermommy613 at 8:34 PM on Jul. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Get him a toy to hold onto while he is walking.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 8:35 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Let him get over it on his own. It's not a big deal. He can get around fine, and when he's happy with himself on his progress, he'll do it on his own. Just keep helping him and holding his hand, and he'll do it in his own time. The more he practices, the better.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 8:38 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• My daugther was afraid of falling as well. The most you can do is to encourage him. If you don't have to carry him then don't. Hold his hand for as long as he wants. It is his issue to over come. I have a fear of falling and well many people have tried to help and it just pisses me off and scares the poo out of me. Let him know that you are there for him if he falls. That is all you can do. He may have inheritted this from family. Ask around see how they have handeled it. He will walk on his own. Good luck
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 9:04 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• There's this great song called Boom Boom Pow, and if you make up a dance that makes you look like a monkey on crack, it makes them laugh every time they fall and you do it and sing.
    I either 1) ignore a fall 2) laugh and sing about it 3) make it fun by falling onto the ground myself or tickling him or whatever else that will make it something to laugh about.
    I don't really carry my son, and I walk kind of fast, out of habit, so I think he learned to run because he had to keep up, lol. Just ya know, doing laundry and all that, I'd be out of a room before he got into it and it made him mad.
    One thing though...I only had 10 months of peace. Enjoy it. He'll learn to walk before pre-school...thank your stars he stays put!
    sweetphoenix529

Answer by sweetphoenix529 at 2:45 AM on Jul. 13, 2009