How can I get my 12 month old off his bottle and onto a sippy?

I have to ween my son off of his bottle for Daycare and im just not sure how to do this. He LOVES his milk and bottle. I am so worried it will not work. A coworker of mine told me to just give him his milk in the sippy cup through the day and then a bottle at night, but wont that confuse him? He is a very finicky, picky eater and just loves his formula..he is not on Milk just yet. I dont know what to do to make it easier on him and I...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:46 PM on Jul. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Give sippy only throughout the day.
    Give the bottle at night.
    Don't give milk in the bottle - you don't want him to associate the two.
    Good Luck getting him to take formula from the sippy - my daughter absolutely refused.
    Don't give a sippy with handles - it can be confused with a toy.
    Try giving a sippy with a soft mouth piece. It is more similar to a bottle.

This is something that you just need to be consistent with. If you are not consistent, and you give in every time he cries for his bottle, you will never wean him.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 8:49 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Well when I switched mine over i started by just giving her the sippy sometimes to get her used to the difference in flow. Once she was good at drinking from the sippy I simply stopped giving her a bottle. She never noticed or cared. She was about 10 months old.
    mrsbvader

Answer by mrsbvader at 8:53 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Oh ya It did have to be the silicone top on the sippy. She couldn't figure out the plastic ones just yet.
    mrsbvader

• why would it confuse him? What does it matter what liquid is in the cup? Giving him a drink he loves will make him like the cup much more. My daughter is only 5 1/2 months old and she already takes both a sippy and a bottle. She drinks her breast milk out of both and does great.
    JocelynsMama1

Answer by JocelynsMama1 at 8:54 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I just stopped my oldest cold turkey. I got the Nuby soft silicone cups and gave her her milk in that and put all the bottles away...she didn't even notice! With my youngest, she's almost 1 and she's been stealing big sister's sippy cups for a while, now, so we have no problems with her!
    beadingmom17

Answer by beadingmom17 at 8:57 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I substituted one bottle a day for a sippy, and then added another sippy each day until she was completely used to the sippy. I used the sippy that had the silicon tips, so it was an easy transition. I didn't really like the silicon tip sippies because they leak and are hard to clean, though.
    MontessoriMo226

Answer by MontessoriMo226 at 9:19 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Try the kind with a straw. My nephew would never use a regular sippy cup, so when my daughter refused hers, I got the straw kind and she LOVES it! Her bottle is only for formula now, and she knows that her cup has water or juice in it. She picks it up herself and drinks from it.
    krod77

Answer by krod77 at 9:53 PM on Jul. 12, 2009