Having a feeding issue...HELP!! (breastfeeding)

My son is 2 weeks old and until now breastfeeding has been going great.

But now we seem to be having trouble. My baby acts like he starbing but when I put him to me to feed he latches on for a split second, then lets off, lays there for a few minutes and then starts acting like he's starving again.

What could be the problem and how do I fix it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:04 PM on Jul. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He probably doesn't want to have to work for the milk so he's waiting for it to let down, that way the milk comes out all by itself and he doesn't have to do much work.
    FL_Mommy_2

Answer by FL_Mommy_2 at 9:10 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• When I was nursing, my child did that when she didn't like what I had been eating...like if it was too spicy or onion-tasting, because the flavor came out in the breastmilk. What I ate sometimes affected the breastmilk 24 hours later, so I had to think about what I ate the day before. She also had bad reactions to things like broccoli and red beans (gas) and chocolate (hyper and not sleeping). However, your daughter may not have these kind of reactions, but it is worth a shot to try!
    MontessoriMo226

Answer by MontessoriMo226 at 9:15 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I would absolutely suggest contacting your local La Leche League. They can and will help you, and at no cost.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:18 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I sometimes ran my pump for a few minutes before my son latched. When the milk was flowing I would latch him on. He had alto of trouble latching and would do the same thing. It helped when the milk was right there for him so he didn't give up.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 10:13 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• He is two weeks and most likely going through a growth spurt. Just let him do his thing. It is nature's way of increasing your supply for him. It will seem maddening to you but just go with it.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 12:46 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Total growth spurt behaviour. Just hang in there and keep nursing (no bottles!), It will pass.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:16 AM on Jul. 13, 2009