Toddler and play pen

my son is going to be seventeen months and i tend to get talked about by other family members because i still have a play pen for him. He isnt too big for it and doesnt know how to climb out of it, and he doesnt stay in it all day. I have it there for purposes of getting things done, he's only it in if i am busy and he does just fine playing with his toys. My family members think i should throw it out because it cruel to put him in one, what do you ladies think?

Asked by Herron at 12:30 PM on Jun. 22, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Get a playyard (the fencing kind) instead of playpen. That way he can move around with more freedom. I use two sets of the Superyard XT playyard in the living room and the twins are 2.5. It's been working great ever since they started to crawl.

Answer by halfpint_ny at 12:44 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• It wont be much longer before he knows how to crawl out of it so why invest in another piece that he will soon houdini out of. I agree you must have your moments of quiet time. If the family is so concerned, then they can offer to come over and take him for a spell to give you the freedom that you need. I see nothing wrong with your tactics. Sounds normal and sane to me.

Answer by njoynlife at 12:54 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• I don't think there's anything wrong with it! I used our Jumperoo until my son was 18 months. I'd put him in it, pop in a Baby Einstein DVD & I'd have about 30 minutes to get some stuff done around the house. As long as your son isn't crying the whole time he's in there, I think you're just fine.

Answer by crazysocks830 at 12:57 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• i dont see anything wrong with using a playpen as long as your toddler doesn't mind it and doesn't climb out. i wouldn't use it for long periods, but there's always times you need him to be safe while you run to answer a door or a phone or nature :).

Answer by anniekelleher at 1:44 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• My son is 19 months and loves going in his to play with blocks while I get some things done around the house. As long as your little one isn't climbing out of it then there is no need to take him out unless he breaks any weight limits. We specifically keep his blocks in there because they're one of his favorite toys so we know that he will play with them with no fussing while I get some things done.

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 1:52 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• I wouldn't personally put a baby in one. My son is 15 months and when I need to get things done I wear him. He likes to ride in his baby carrier on my back while I work.

Answer by Pauline3283 at 4:25 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• I say if it works for you and your child is ok with it too, keep doing it till it no longer works. I know we all need some time to get some things done without having to worry about our children getting hurt,into things or into serious trouble. Who cares what others think...let them talk! =o)

Answer by SHELEBELLE at 4:53 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• My aughter played in a playpen till she was 2 yrs old. She liked the enclosure, it made her feel secure. My son on the other hand never would stay in one. As long as she is not climbing out of it an seems content, I would let her be. She will let you know when she needs more room to roam. Good luck!!

Answer by redtang912 at 8:03 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• My older boys would not have anything to do with them, too active. The baby (11mo) is quite laid back and does fine being in his playpen. He plays... and he is safe. I will use it as long as he lets me.

Answer by drowninginboys at 9:39 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• What is thier problem use it as long as you can it will save alot of those purple goose eggs they all have on the forheads at this age. I mean why not it's all in the way each little feels, he likes it you gets things done "tell your family to mind their BIZZNESS, it not easy to chase around toddlers.

Answer by rosetoes at 10:08 PM on Jun. 23, 2008