So how did your induced labor go?

I was due on the 6th and they are going to induce on the 16th. I'm more nervous about that then I was with my first because I don't know what to expect. My doctor and I haven't talked about the details yet. I just want to hear about other peoples experiences so I know if there are any questions I should ask her when she and I do talk about it.

ajguinn

Asked by ajguinn at 9:32 PM on Jul. 12, 2009 in Pregnancy

• ajquinn- I get your frustration... It's hard making this decision, hormonal, and then having people throw loose facts at you. I was induced with my first. My cervix was ready but I wasn't dilated at all... Even after the pitocin I had no change for HOURS. Finally I took the epi and went from 2 to 8 in 40 minutes. The contractions were VERY hard and I think I got caught up in fear tension of it all so that slowed me considerably. My second I was dilated but not ready cervix wise... I went 5 days late with him :) I say this because my doc then told me he would not induce because of the situation not being right and would most likely result in csection. I really appreciated him being so honest because I had a friend recently who was scared into inducing and ended up with surgery, kwim? Well this is my third and I am actually set to be induced the same day you are :)

CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 6:28 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I was induced with my second child and my labor went fine. The contractions are a bit stronger. I was only in labor from 10 until 1 so it wasn't that long I think it just goes quicker. Its not that bad. oh good luck everything should go ok.
    Anonymous

• I was induced with my first. The only thing I can say is that the contractions came FAST and HARD. With regular labor, your body eases into the whole thing, but with an induction, it hits you at once. If you are going to get an epi, make sure you tell the nurses when you walk in. Other than that, it's pretty much the same as regular labor.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 9:35 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• first off, you may not go in the exact time they tell you to. if the delivery is full theyll have to push you back. i thought yah right that wont happen to me.. it did! lol anyway, i got this thing called cervidal or something, it goes inside you and helps just soften your cervix, in some cases, it will make you dilate or have contractions but it may not... then a few hours later i was given pitocin, and then the contractinos came more and more, later my doctor broke my water by putting this thing on his finger with a sharp thing on the end and he just poked it and it gushed out... a few hours later, i got my epidural... then a few hours later i was stopping dilating at 4. and waited a few more hours and was still at four... so i had an emergency c section, and it turned out the cord was around myt daughters neck and thats why i wasnt dilating anymore. she was born healty though 8 lbs 7oz 21 3/4 in long. :)
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 9:38 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• my labor was long.. 20hours, and my contractions didnt come fast like the other two ladies said.. mine came gradually more and more then closer and closer then never came down because i had extremely bad back labor. :(... that wasnt from being induced though.. she juist wasnt facing the right way.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 9:39 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I was induced on my due date. at 7:00 am the started me on Pitocin after 12 hours on it i only dilated to 3 cm so I had to have a c section. Everyone experience is different so don't get scared .Good luck and I hope everything goes good for your birth.
    Dylansmom32509

Answer by Dylansmom32509 at 9:39 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I didn't really have a regular labor the first time. My water broke on it's own, but they had to start me on petocin 2 hours later and I STILL didn't even start to dialate for 12 hours. They had to turn the petocin all the way up and leave it there and I finally delivered a whole 24 hours after my water broke. So I guess it will be about the same as last time then?
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 9:39 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I was induced with my son, my first and only, but I just went to the hospital they hooked my IV's up and took all my info the my Doc came in, you have to spread your legs and they stick a very long but small hook up in you to pop you membrane and your water. Its messy and I thought grosse, I recommend Pooping before it happens cause with me I couldnt tell if I needed to pooh or if it was the contractions, that way you know for sure. But then they give you some drugs that start you contractions and it can be very uncomfortable, I wish I had brought my own pillow, but they kept checking to see how far dialted I was and then it was just a waiting game, I got my epidural about 4 hours in I was so huge though I couldnt take it. Then we waitied till it was time to push we did some practice pushes and my doc was there to support me and tell me when I was doing good. But all in all I was a very good experience for me.
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 9:45 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I was induced at 36 weeks and it was a pretty easy labor. I had a few hours of hard labor and only pushed through about 2 contractions before he came. I think your attitude has alot to do with it. If you expect your induced labor to be long and hard it will.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 9:45 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• i was induced with my first... they started me on pitocin at 1pm, broke my water at 5 pm, still wasnt feeling any contratctions, at around 8pm i could mildly fel them, at 11pm i got an spi, not because i could feel contractions but because they snisteologist was going into a 5 hour sugery and i didnt want to take the chance of pain for that long!... after that they just kept checking me my baby was born at 10:35 the next morning...
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 9:45 PM on Jul. 12, 2009