How did you get your baby to begin holding their own bottle for feeding?

My son is about to be 12 months old and I still sit and feed him his bottle. I know he is physically able to hold it, he just does not because I have always held it for him. How do I train him to hold the bottle and feed himself? I decided just now to just give him a bottle and have him figure it out on his own but his father could not stand hearing him cry and took him away, is there another way to convince them to try it?He is about to go off of formula all together as soon as the last of the formula WIC gives him is gone. Please do not bash me for formula feeding as opposed to breast, i have had this debate and it is pointless!!!

truthteller0722

Asked by truthteller0722 at 9:37 PM on Jul. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I agree with pp. Enjoy the nurturing time with your son, and relax.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 11:09 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• have you tried a sippy? my daughter holds hers a lot better then her bottle. Shes only 5 1/2 months so i know shes young for a sippy but she loves it . Munchkin makes these neon colored soft tip ones that she can get the milk out of much easier than any others shes tried. Get the one with handles and try placeing his hands on the cup and guiding it to his mouth then let go and see if he'll figure it out. Thats what I did.
    JocelynsMama1

Answer by JocelynsMama1 at 9:55 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• We layed him down but elevated and propped the bottle up with a blanket. Eventually he held it on his own but he was more like 6-7 months.
    Anonymous

• My daughter has been holding hers consistently since she turned six months old. She was first interested when she was about five months old, but she didn't get the hang of it until recently.

Don't feel guilty or bad for still holding his bottle. My stepsister's son is EIGHTEEN months old and she still holds his bottle!

Have you tried not giving him any other option than holding it himself? That's pretty much the only solution I can come up with. As long as you continue holding it for him, he'll probably be reluctant to hold it himself. That's one way I helped my daughter learn to hold her bottle on her own. I would hold her and put her hands on the bottom of the bottle, and I would hold the top steady. After a few weeks of that I can now prop her up with a pillow and she takes her bottle by herself.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:36 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• yes cait......I have tried that and variations of that as well. I just get annoyed when I am just sitting there with him and he is doing nothing.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 10:53 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Why is it you don't want to sit with your baby & hold his bottle for him? Feeding time is a time to held and nurtured. Why do you want your baby to fend for himself? It really makes me feel sad to see babies who are forced to hold their own bottles or worse yet, have it propped, that can cause choking. Feeding your children is one of greatest of all the times we as moms will ever share with our babies and it ends quicker than you know. Just take the time out of your busy schedule, stop what you're doing and focus on this special time with your baby. One day you're gonna long for these days and they'll be gone forever. Believe me, I know.

Anonymous