How common is it to not have enough milk for your baby?

How do I know if my baby is getting enough milk and if I have enough?

The hospital told me to feed my baby every 3-4 hours but my baby seems to be eating constantly. I'm worried my baby might not be getting enough.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:53 PM on Jul. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• the hospital is wrong in the first 6 weeks or so the baby should nurse on demand when ever it wants for as long as it wants that is how your supply is built by you brain--- in 6 weeks or so you should start to see a pattern develpoe of every 3 hours BUT not before then !!! if you supplement with formula you will never make enough so put baby to breast and sit back for a few weeks
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:58 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Well, at lot of women on here will tell you it is very rare that a woman doesn't make enough to feed her child but it happens more often than they think they know. I wasn't producing enough. I could only pump 2oz every 2-3 days and never got engorged. My baby would eat for an hour and still be hungry 30 mins later. I don't think that's normal. But if you're worried about it I would talk to your babies doctor or contact a lactation consultant.
    Anonymous

• oh and you will know the baby is getting enough by weight gain at your 2 week old visit and by wet diapers (a few a day) sorry I got side tracked
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:59 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• at first it feels like they are nursing all the time because you time from when they started not when they finished. Most newborns will nurse for around 45 minutes so it will feel like a short amount of time before you need to nurse again. And my daughter ate even more often then avery 3 to 4 hours more like 2 to 3 and i had excess milk and she was very healthy. just watch the number of wet diapers she has. As long as shes continuing to pee then shes not dehydrated and your making enough milk for her. stick with it it gets much easier.
    JocelynsMama1

Answer by JocelynsMama1 at 10:00 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• (oh ugh I'm tird) at the 1 week old visit the baby will loose weight and that is normal ...and annon above doesent have a clue you can tell cause she talks about the pump--- the pump IS NOT IN ANY WAY equivilent to baby to breast-- you brain does not get the same accurate message as baby to breast--- until your supply is in in a few weeks it will seem like baby nurses 24/7 and they are it will resolve if you nurse on demand for the first few weeks
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:04 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• melrn is right the baby looses weight...by two weeks the dr.s will want the baby to be back around their birth weight...so right now just focus on the wet diapers thats all
    JocelynsMama1

Answer by JocelynsMama1 at 10:07 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• melrn doesnt have a clue because she talks about my situation like she knows me!
    Anonymous

• Babies eat more to teach your body to make more milk :)
    My daughter goes through spurts where she needs to eat all day, then for afew weeks will eat every few hours.
    Dont supplement with formula, that only makes things much worse
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 10:14 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• "I could only pump 2oz every 2-3 days and never got engorged. My baby would eat for an hour and still be hungry 30 mins later. I don't think that's normal."

no that is normal. Lots of women don't react well to pumps, that is no indication.
    I only get engorged if I dont feed my daughter for a whole night (if I go out I mean).
    Many babys will nurse for a very long time, but the second half of the nursing session is just for comfort. I know my daughter will actively suck/swallow for 10 minutes or so, then would stay on the breast for well over an hour if I allowed her (I usually pop her a paci if I need to do stuff around the house)
    She's growing perfectly and is content.
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 10:17 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• even after 6 months? I think not.
    Anonymous