2 year old -2 bedtimes

My son who will be 2 next month has adopted this nifty little trick. We put him to bed. He screams until one of us (usually dad) gives in and goes and gets him. Then after about 1/2 hour with us he goes to bed peacfully. No matter what time we put him down this still seems to happen most night.

I'm torn about what to do. I don't want to just let him CIO, but when we go in he gets even more worked up unless we bring he back out. I knows he's manipulating the situation to get what he wants.

Any ideas?

MAUREEN55

Asked by MAUREEN55 at 9:57 PM on Jul. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I am a big fan of crying it out. I was dead set against it until I realized my daughter was not going to sleep on her own and there was no way I could figure out how to get her to. The first time we let her CIO was awful but she has gotten used to it and now she will not sleep without it.
    psugal

Answer by psugal at 10:10 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• it sounds like your son has his own routine down - lol. other than just really enforcing your bedtime & letting him cio - idk.
    scooterpooter

Answer by scooterpooter at 10:23 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I think it's good to have a warning so your child knows to start preparing for bed. Maybe this is it for your child. Take him to his room about half an hour before bed and tell him it's beditme and that if he's good he can sit with mommy and daddy for a bit while he calms down and gets sleepy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on Jul. 13, 2009