How am I going to handle a 2 year old AND a newborn?

So my daughter (Zoey) will be 2 in October, and we just found out I am having another baby probably in March, so Zoey will be around 2 1/2 around then. And if it is a girl they will be sharing a room. How am I going to handle a 2 year old and a newborn?! I am honestly SCARED. What if Zoey doesnt understand why she isnt getting all of the attention anymore, she is still so young! I feel sooo sad that I wont be able to give her all my attention after the baby comes. Any tips? What if the baby wont sleep through the night (most likely wont, Zoey didnt in the beginning) and then Zoey wakes up, how am I going to handle this? How will I catch up on my sleep during the day from the lack of sleep the night before if I have Zoey to also take care of? Please! I need advice!! :) I have no idea how to handle it.

Zoeysmommy1023

Asked by Zoeysmommy1023 at 10:02 PM on Jul. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• Take a deep breath and relax. Many moms before you have done this successfully! I have a 4.5 year old and a 2 month old. I freaked out while I was pregnant too. Rest assured. I am managing. Some days are harder than others, but for the most part, I've become quite the juggler! LOL
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 10:04 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Don't worry! Relax!! Talk to you daughter about the new baby - all positive, don't say negative stuff. The baby will wake her at first, but eventually she will start sleeping through it. Take it a day at a time. There will be really rough days and then you will have wonderful moments when it is ALL worth it!!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:06 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• OMG I feel your pain mine was 26 months old when her brother came.... you can do it you can do it you can do it!! hang tight
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:07 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• It will be fine.I had a 15 month old and a newborn. Then a few years later, a 3 and 1/2 and a two year old and a newborn --with DH hardly ever home because he was in the Air Force. I was tired and stressed but it all worked out fine and I was so glad I had all three kids so close together. They were always good buddies.
    Anonymous

• Btw, Nathaniel was 15 months when Daniel came along. Daniel was 18 months when Elizabeth came. And Elizabeth will be 14 months when #4 comes!!! I have survived! Lol!! In November I will have a 3 year old (for 1 more month), a 2 year old, a 1 year old, and a newborn. It can be wonderful!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:08 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• my mom had me & my bro 1.5 yrs apart & we are very close. its like growing up w/ a best friend. i think your dd will be fine w/ adjusting to the new baby. just remember to ask for help when you feel like you need a break.
    scooterpooter

Answer by scooterpooter at 10:17 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• very carefully :] trust me you will be FINE :]
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 10:28 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• well to anon above, if you don't have advice to help, keep your opinions to yourself. She didn't get on here to be ridiculed. I'm in the same boat as you. My son is 2 1/2 and our daughter is due any day now. I've just been talkin to him about the baby. He knows where she is. He is constantly kissing my belly and seems excited to be a big brother. Ive been having him spend more time with my nephew so he kinda can get use to the feeling of being around another kid, and not the center of attentions anymore. He actually handles it well and tries to help with the younger ones. I'm sure she will be fine, and as for the sleep you'll fall into some sort of a routine I'm sure that will allow you some sort of a nap, and hopefully hubby can be helpful at night.
    angeleyes0306

Answer by angeleyes0306 at 10:44 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• You can do it! Just relax. In about a month I will have three under three, you have a piece of cake! Is Zoey a good sleeper now? I was surprised at what my oldest slept through when the baby came. I kept the baby in our room until he was sleeping mostly through the night just in case of my oldest waking up. If you are worried about the attention thing start teaching her patience now. If you are in the middle of something and she asks for a drink, tell her to wait until you are done and be sure that you do it right when you are done so she learns what that means. Talk to her about the baby. As you get closer to the due date perhaps let her buy the baby a toy to give to it at the hospital. Don't worry about keeping a schedule on time. I found it much easier to do things in the same order every day but not to watch the clock.
    Anonymous

• First, breathe! You can do this. It's not as hard as it sounds. My first two were only 23 months apart. And how I explained it was that there was going to be a new baby for us all to love. And once he got here, Logon (my oldest) would need to help mommy alot. He seemed to like that. I always had him help me with bottles and getting diapers for me. He felt like he was helping take care of his new baby brother. Well, until baby brother got old enough to start stealing his toys. lol.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 11:27 PM on Jul. 12, 2009