when should i upgrade my carseat.........

my son is 5 month old....... 19lbs and 28 in......... he barly fits in his carseat anymore.......... when should i upgrade and what kind should i get

Ginger_Sessions

Asked by Ginger_Sessions at 10:28 PM on Jul. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can upgrade to a convertable car seat now. those can be used from birth....depending on the make.....up to 100 lbs. He still needs to be facing rear......but he can def have a more roomy seat!
    TNT8687

Answer by TNT8687 at 10:32 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• i agree w/ tnt8687 - we got a convertable car seat.
    scooterpooter

Answer by scooterpooter at 10:36 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• def. a convertable seat... there are a TON of great ones on the market.. one for every budget!
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 11:00 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Go ahead a move him into a convertible seat if you would like... but most infant seats should still fit your son. He can stay in his infant seat until he is to the weight limit and has at least 1 inch of hard shell above his head. How long his legs are doesn't matter, they can hang off.
    As far as convertibles... stay away from the 3 in 1's they children tend to outgrow them quickly and you end up buying another of the same type of thing anyway.
    I would get one of these (in price order low - $50 to high $300) Cosco Scenera, Evenflo Triumph Advance, Graco MyRide 65, First Years True Fit, or any of the Britax Convertibles
    All of these seats are good seats some have nicer features than others
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:01 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I had this same question and I had heard from ALOT of moms that COSCO was a horrible brand and does not keep baby safe although it is true that all seats on the market are rigorously tested for safety. Something had always told me not to trust COSCO stuff. I just bought my son at 11 and a half months the Evenflo.........something? They had it at Walmart for 66.50 i think it was. The Cosco convert was on sale for 45 but I chose the Evenflo! It was not that much more and I know he will be sing it for a few years so, I went with my gut and got the more expensive.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 11:12 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I got the alpha whatever it is from Babies R Us and I loved it so much we went back and got another one for the other car. So far the only problem I am having is that the straps twist, but I'm not sure if any of them will be different there. It's a convertable, the whole way to booster. Remember, you need to have it rear-facing at least to 1 year and something or other lbs, but I switched my son at 5 months too, so you're right there on time.
    sweetphoenix529

Answer by sweetphoenix529 at 2:39 AM on Jul. 13, 2009