how to increase milk supply?

So i was going to quit breastfeeding a few weeks back but have since decided i want to continue breastfeeding now that i dont seem to be having as many issues with clogged ducts and mastitis. The only issue now is since my surgery 5weeks ago my milk supply is way down and i only have enough milk to nurse him onces a day sometimes twice. Iam completly dried up on the side i had surger. I pump every 2 to 3 hours and i get nothing from either side however i know hes getting some milk at bedtime because when he latches once in a while im leaking a ton of millk. How do i get my supply back up? can i take something? It would be nice to be able to nurse him 3 or 4 times a day verses just once a day and having to use formula.

Jaxsmommy09

Asked by Jaxsmommy09 at 10:42 PM on Jul. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• if you don't get results with a pump, but do after he nurses then keep offering your breast for him to nurse. that is really the best way. you can take fenugreek, eat oatmeal, and drink plenty of water-these may help, but having baby at the breast as often as possible (and as often as he wants) is the best way to increase supply.
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 10:50 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Nurse all the time it will get you flowing more frenquently!...Also my lactation consultant helped me by telling me about FENUGREEK!

http://www.babycenter.com/404_can-the-herb-fenugreek-increase-a-moms-milk-supply_8880.bc
    Artistachica

Answer by Artistachica at 10:51 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Nurse, nurse, nurse! Pumps are not as efficient of "suckers" as babies. His suckling will do a WAY better job helping bump your supply back up. Eating oatmeal every day will increase your milk supply as will fenugreek and mother's milk tea.
    MamaJen74

Answer by MamaJen74 at 11:28 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• If you are leaking milk with him you probably have plenty of milk. Pumps don't always work for women. I could never pump anything but my daughter always had more than enough milk. Nurse as often as possible. Bring baby to bed with you (it only has to be for a weekend) because at night your hormone that produces milk spikes so it's a good time to nurse.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 2:00 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• www.kellymom.com has great advice.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 2:01 AM on Jul. 13, 2009