Teething

When do babies typically start teething and what have you ladies found to be the best way to help them?

knjones

Asked by knjones at 10:54 PM on Jul. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• babys can start teething between 3 and 18 months.......... my so is 5months now and he's been teething for a month and i haven't really found anything to sooth him yet
    Ginger_Sessions

Answer by Ginger_Sessions at 10:57 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Mine baby started on and off from 2 months old and got her first two bottom teeth at 5 months. I use chilled was cloth and all sorts of baby teething toys from the massaging ones to the fabric and rubber and liquid filled and she really like the rubber finger brush best...you know the little finger brush to message their gums and brush their teeth she really liked that one best and the chilled wash cloth. I also used teething tablets at times and orajel sometimes.
    Anonymous

• Cool wash cloths...teething rings. Also you can use your knuckle...my little guy gnaws on it like crazy...lol ...If all else fails use baby Orajel or the tablets.
    Artistachica

Answer by Artistachica at 11:00 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• She's three and a half months now and last night she was having a really hard time going to sleep. we started rubbing her gums cause she wouldn't eat or anything she was just crying and she was loving it, so i thought maybe she was starting? We only have one of those liquid filled things, but i will definitely try the cloth and look for the brush thing. Babies r us? Thanks :)
    knjones

Answer by knjones at 11:01 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I've used orajel on my baby since she first started teething at 3 months but I was told by my friend (who is a nurse) that the numbing agent in Orajel actually toughens gums and makes it harder for the teeth to come out. Which could explain why it took forever for those first 2 teeth to finally break thru. I'm using Hyland's teething tablets now. My SIL and I agree they are a miracle!
    sadiesmom87

Answer by sadiesmom87 at 2:18 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I haven't figured out a way to make the babies more comfortable, but I find that wine works well for me...
    sweetphoenix529

Answer by sweetphoenix529 at 2:24 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Wow...I didn't know that about orajel! We use that quite frequently, and although we've been saying "teething" since he was 3 months, he only got his 1st tooth at like, 8 months or something like that. Thank you.
    PS I find that finding the right frozen teether, mixed with the right rubbery toys, mixed with a nice bath, and using that infant training toothbrush works well.
    sweetphoenix529

Answer by sweetphoenix529 at 2:27 AM on Jul. 13, 2009