what are signs of autism?

i hear ppl talking about it all the time, but what are the early signs? my ds is 3 and im starting to get really worried about autism....

2cuteboysrmine

Asked by 2cuteboysrmine at 11:10 PM on Jul. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• I have two local mommy friends who have children with autism. I knew them before their sons were known to have autism. The first sign my neighbor had for one of her boys was a lack of speech. He wasn't meeting the milestones of talking. The other one's son actually was hitting all the milestones and all of a sudden started to regress in his speech and development. She had a new baby at home and the doctor at first told her it was just him acting out because of the new baby. It wasn't.

Doesn't always respond to name or has poor eye contact. Hope this helps. Good luck!
    TessLouise

Answer by TessLouise at 11:23 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Well, most of the time the big signal is loss of speech. And by that I mean, they start to say words and begin to stop saying them. Also hand flapping is a big one. Here is a link to the Sutism Society of America's (ASA) site that gives early warning signs:

http://www.autism-society.org/site/PageServer?pagename=about_home

Hope that helps. Feel free to PM me if you need some support or more help.

-Ashley

spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 11:23 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Please feel free to message me. My son is 3 1/2 and has had a year of speech, developmental and occupational therapy. He is also in a special needs school. There is too much to tell you here but the main concern with Parents as Teachers and First Steps was his speech. He still rarely puts two words together but he is extremely smart. He flaps his arms and spins around. He makes strange noises when he is happy and bangs his head when he is upset.
    Stop by my page anytime and leave me a message and I will give you whatever information I can to help.
    army_wife2000

Answer by army_wife2000 at 11:28 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• he jsut went in for his 3 year check up,, they are sending him to get a hearing and speech evaluation at the end of the month... he started talking at 9 months,, but still dosent say complete words... he can say sentances but they are hard to understand.. like " i wan mo juu" i want more juice... and things like that... he is very social, but also just wants to play by himslef... i know i shouldnt get myself all worked up until i have his tests but what do you think??

i tried the website and it wasnt any real help...
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 11:46 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• If your "mommy-sense" is telling you that there may be a problem, get your child evaluated. Early intervention is always best.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:55 PM on Jul. 13, 2009