I'm concerned about Post Partum Depression...Anyone had PPD? I really need some help...advise...thanks.

My baby is more than 2 weeks old and everything I've found says that the "baby blues" should only last up to 2 weeks.

But I'm still having spells of feeling sad, extremely lonely, sometimes I don't want to get out of bed, I've been emotionally eating majorly...I don't know...I just feel blah.

The thing is that I feel this way most of the time but I have times where I feel ok. Like I still laugh if something funny happens so I don't know.

I'm not really sure how PPD works...I don't feel like hurting myself or my baby but I could easily curl up in a ball and cry for hours.

Do these things sound like PPD or is it normal to have these feelings after having a baby?

I'm just worried because in psycholoy last semester my teacher taught us that PPD doesn't go away on it's own and left untreated it can get worse but I don't have my book anymore so I can't look up the signs and a google search was not helpful.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:14 PM on Jul. 12, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You should talk to your doc. They can give you medication to help. Its your hormones still being all out of whack. Or if your really just want to look up the symptoms try webmd.com
    Anonymous

• you should really call you dr... meds arent the only thing you need. talking to a counciler really helps too.. just do what is right! you want to be able to enjoy this part of your babys life!!!

and if you relaly need someone to talk to NOW or before you can get an appt.. feel free to pm me.. i went through it 2 times with my boys, both times it was VERY bad...
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 11:20 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I had it. I felt the same as you. I didn't think about hurting the baby or myself either. I started tons of fights with my DF, we were miserable, I cried and screamed constantly. I went to the dr and she prescribed me Zoloft. She told me when I started taking medication that the first two weeks would be the hardest because it gets worse before it gets better. It was true. I was awful and I felt like I had taken a bunch of drugs. My DF took me to a birthday dinner for a surprise and I could barely be in public. I was weird and felt nuts. Then finally the cloud lifted. I adjusted to the medication and I was happy and felt good about myself again. I got up in the mornings, I ate (I am opposite and don't eat when depressed), I actually could breathe. Three months later I stopped the medication! Go to your doctor and be open about what's going on. The medication process is a little difficult in the beginning but stay with it.
    Lauren24

Answer by Lauren24 at 11:31 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• If you need anything or have questions feel free to message me!
    Lauren24

Answer by Lauren24 at 11:32 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I think you really should bring this up with your doctor and either think about temporary meds or seeing a counselor. I had PPD and it kinda crept up on me. At first I thought baby blues, but it never really went away and then I realized I needed a little help. Mine didn't really start happening until DD was about 3 weeks old. I never cried a lot or yelled/screamed at anyone. I didn't want to sleep 20 hours a day. I NEVER thought about hurting myself or DD, but I felt different. I was very blah everyday. I didn't want to do anything...cook, clean, go out to eat, visit my mom's house, NOTHING. That's when I knew that I needed a little something. I started on Wellbutrin(antidepressant) which is very mild. It is recommended to stay on a med for about a year to keep PPD from returning. I started weaning myself after my DD's first birthday. I was on it for 10 months total and have been feeling my old self again!
    Mindi7806

Answer by Mindi7806 at 1:30 AM on Jul. 13, 2009