Homeless shelter and section 8

if i have to stay at a homeless shelter how long will it take me to get onto section 8?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:47 PM on Jul. 12, 2009 in Just for Fun

• No, it would NOT be safer in a car! What happens if there's a burglary? Or a rapist? At least at the shelter, you'd be safe from all of that. Shelters are not what they used to be. Some have lockers that you can store your belongings. They have toilets and showers with hot water. Some even offer cereal and milk in the mornings. AND, usually there are social workers who can help you out with housing, childcare, etc. Please don't stay in your car overnight.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• It depends on if there is a waiting list in your state/county or not, and how long it is.
    Cherrie522

Answer by Cherrie522 at 11:49 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• It depends. You get into a place faster if you have kids, but even when you have kids there is a waiting list. You get moved in based on priority, not necessarily where you are on the list.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 11:49 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Depends on the waiting list. Where I live, top priority is given to working people with children.
    MamaJen74

Answer by MamaJen74 at 11:52 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• well i am a working mother and my roommate kicked me out. can dhs take my kids away if we have to live in the car?
    Anonymous

• It depends on if the list is open in your city and how long the waiting list is. Go to your welfare office or Salvation Army and ask for emergency housing funds. Yes, DHS can take your kids if you are living in a car, go to a shelter and get help.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:05 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Why are you on CafeMom if you are homeless? Would it be wiser to use the internet to find a job?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• just a thought DSS in my county gives hotel vouchers or something like that..so id go find out about that..and you may be able to get benefit diversion from TANF which would give you three months of benefits all at once!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 12:08 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Can you go to a women's shelter? I don't think anyone will take your kids away if you got kicked out and have no other place to go. I used to work at a homeless shelter, and there were TONS of parents with kids. They only slept there at night, but during the day, they were on their own. I'm so sorry this is happening to you.

If the shelter doesn't offer meals, there are plenty of churches that have free dinners. They try to arrange so that each church has their dinner on a different night of the week, so you can get at least 5 free meals that way. peanut butter sandwiches can be made in a car...you don't need refrigeration. Crackers, fresh fruit, water bottles (you can fill them with water from fountains), juice boxes, cereal bars, applesauce in those little plastic containers...all that can be used for breaskfast and lunch and snacks.

Do you have a place for the kids to go while you're at work?

Good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:10 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Anon 1205, get your head out of your arse. Have you ever heard of a LIBRARY with internet access???? And she DOES have a job, she said so. Why don't you just go to bed...you're obviously not going to be very helpful to her. People like you annoy the crap out of me I swear.....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:12 AM on Jul. 13, 2009