How do I get stains out of a porcelein sink?

I have a white porcelein sink in my kitchen thats really dingy. It drives me nuts and i want it clean!

Asked by bvona at 12:32 PM on Jun. 22, 2008 in Home & Garden

• Use old dutch cleaner. Make a paste with it and let it set for a while then scrub and rinse out. If this doesnt remove the stains, then head to home depot or lowes and find an epoxy paint that you can repaint the sink with. Shouldnt be more than 8.00. Dont let them talk you into getting the kind you have to mix together, just get the spray can. Tape off the edges and the faucet, lightly spray the paint, watching for runs and let it set for a day. TADA new sink. I work gutting out properties. We do this all the time and it last for about a year before it will wear down and you will have to do it again. The results are fantastic though.

Answer by njoynlife at 12:51 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• CLR It removes calcium, lime and rust stains. You can find it at Walmart, Dollar General, almost anywhere. Good luck.

Answer by hotmom33 at 12:48 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Bleach is good too. Soak a couple paper towel in bleach and spread them out in the sink. Let them sit on the stain 20 min or so.

Answer by Eliza34 at 12:49 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• btw, old dutch is about 1.00 a can...similar to comet or ajax but much more industrial stregth. Most often found at dollar stores believe it or not.

Answer by njoynlife at 12:52 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• i would try a paste of baking soda and bleach. rub it on wiht a sponge and leave it on, covered by the sponge, for at least 20 minutes.

Answer by anniekelleher at 1:43 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• I have the same problem. I've found filling the sink with hot water and a scoop of OxyClean works. Let it sit several hours or overnight. Then just rinse it clean.

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:15 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Greased lightning works the best on ALL kinds of stains

Answer by vbruno at 7:46 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• You are supposed to wash your sink????
    That explains everything!

Answer by Aspiemom-Karen at 8:23 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• i just used a magic eraser to get rust stains out of the bottom of my porcelin bathtub. worked great! will also whiten grout that is stained or dingy!

Answer by mommybutterfly at 9:31 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Magic Eraser got the stains off my old "Holly Hobby" collector plates...they had those brown ring stains from a coffee cup or something....

Answer by simplysarah77 at 11:00 PM on Jun. 22, 2008