thrush?

I am going to call her Dr first thing in the morning, but was wondering how they usually diagnose and treat thrush? My daughter is almost 2 weeks old and has thick white on her tongue, but not her cheeks. None of my kids have ever had it before, but a friend of mine saw it and said it looked like thrush to her as all of her kids have had it at one point or another. It just showed up this morning, and doesnt seem to bother her at all. I am breastfeeding too, so will I have to be treated also? It is only on her tongue but doesn't go away at all between feedings and has gotten thicker as the day went on. Opinions please?

AK_aries

Asked by AK_aries at 11:57 PM on Jul. 12, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Your pediatrician will probably prescribe Nystatin liquid for your daughter, and possibly some of the ointment for you too, since you're breastfeeding. If you don't treat yourself, she'll just wind up getting it all over again, not to mention thrush can be extremely painful (not to mention itchy!) if you get it on your nipple area. Don't leave it untreated! It won't just go away on it's own, it can run the length of your daughter's digestive tract and wind up on her little cookie, just like an adult yeast infection. The Nystatin should clear it up within two or three days, but treat it for at least a week to make sure it's completely gone.
    3_is_enough

Answer by 3_is_enough at 12:04 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Sometimes it will just take care of it self after a week or so, but the DR may give you some Antifungal meds
    Cherrie522

Answer by Cherrie522 at 11:58 PM on Jul. 12, 2009