Trying to self-start labor??? What do you think?

I am aquaintances with a mom who recently had a baby 6 weeks before her due date. She said she was sick of being pregnant and couldn't wait to have the baby. She purposely tried to go into labor early by doing all the self-start labor techniques...walking, sex, etc. She was supposed to be on bedrest beginning at around 20 weeks. So she knew that if she did all this there was a HUGE possibility she would go into labor early. My question is, why would some women want to sacrafice the health of their unborn babies by having them premature just b/c they didn't want to be pregnant anymore.

She did have previous pregnancies prematurely too which tells me she felt it would be safe to have this baby way before her due date. But, still, why not do what the doctor says, stay on bedrest, and push for as close to the due date as possible?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I'm almost 37 weeks and I have been doing the same thing walking, spicy food, eating pineapple, everything but no baby yet. Its not that I'm sick of being pregnant its the fact my dr wouldn't listen to me when determining my due date. According to my calculations and my last sono 4 weeks ago I'm due on Tuesday but my dr put my due date Aug 6th. Gabriel weighed in at 6lbs 4oz 4 weeks ago. The sono said I was 36 weeks and my dr said I was 33 weeks. Now that I'm getting closer she won't move my due date but she has encouraged me to do all the self start labor things. But I've learned nothing will make him come before he's ready so basically I've been walking for my health and eating spicy food for the heartburn =o)
    jazzysmommy1004

Answer by jazzysmommy1004 at 12:07 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I have no idea. Why wouldn't you want your baby to come when THEY were fully developed and ready instead of forcing them out of the womb. The sacrifices of motherhood begin at conception IMO. I can't imagine forcing your baby out for your own comfort just so you can visit them in the NICU because they are born to early. Makes absolutely NO sense to me.
    MamaJen74

Answer by MamaJen74 at 12:11 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• wow idk. i feell ike thats kind sad. i mean i would hate to see my baby in the NICU. and i would feel awful if the baby was not ready. i understand atthe end you feel big and some wemon just want it to be over with already. but thats your baby. i would just want my baby to be healthy. i was a day after my due date i was like well not yet and then the doc said being induced. thats when i freeked. i rather be big then being induced
    de_sly

Answer by de_sly at 12:21 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I agree...yes she may have known the baby would servive....but is it worth it?
    see im 30 weeks and i dont want to be pregnant anymore..i mean i like it but i want to see my baby also...but i would never want to force him out pretty much...its to risky.
    I have already been into preterm labor already at my 26th week..yeah early...and it was scarry thinking my baby was to early to survive then.
    You carry your baby for as long as your body says hes ready for a reason....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:25 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• "You carry your baby for as long as your body says hes ready for a reason"

yep
    de_sly

Answer by de_sly at 12:46 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• How selfish. That woman needs a good kick in the behind!
    mlregalado

Answer by mlregalado at 12:58 AM on Jul. 13, 2009