Who else hates when their partner drinks?

I know I sure do.
They get so bitchy/whiny/angry/sloppy/stupid.
It's annoying.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:32 AM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I hated it enough to file for divorce.
    Cherrie522

Answer by Cherrie522 at 12:39 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I do. I make him sleep on the couch if he drinks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:06 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• i do because he tells the kids that its an adult drink, and that as soon as they are old enough, they get to drink with him. So now they will talk about the day that the get to sit around with their daddy drinking beer.

My dad was an alcoholic, and i used to think 'when i get 21 i can go to the bar with him to have a drink' and then when he died, it still makes me mad that i used to think that. having a drink with your parent isn't a 'passage'. Even dh's parents push drinking with them just because he is old enough. bugs the crap out of me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:14 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• That is one thing I am very thankful for. My hubby thinks only a weak minded person needs to drink. I have never seen him drunk nor do I want to.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 1:19 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I am really glad you posted this. I need help. My hubby drinks about a gallon. (No shit, a gallon) a week of whiskey. He gets "happy drunk." He stumbles around and slurs his words, drops his cup, swears, gets loud. (Not mean or violent.) He is like this every day off he has. I think he drinks after he gets off work and hides it from me also. He wants me to think he is only drinking on his days off.
    I talk to him, but he gets angry. He said he doesn't do anything else, so why shouldn't he be able to drink. My comment was, You are frying your liver and setting a bad example for the kids. What should I do? I can't ask this, because he comes on here and reads my posts.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:39 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I hate it when my boyfriend drinks. I actually went so far as to ask him to stop drinking. He did. That's actually when I knew without any doubts at all that he does love me, b/c he stopped drinking and he hasn't had a drink since. He tells me how much he wants to drink, but he won't do it. He started going to AA, even though he doesn't really think he has a problem.

To the anon wanting to know what you can do, honestly, if he doesn't think he has a problem or isn't willing to change, then there may not be much you can do, other than decide to deal with it or leave. When I talked to my boyfriend, I told him that he scares me when he drinks like that, and that it really upsets me and I'm not sure I can have that in my life. I told him if he really loves me and wants to be with me, he has to stop drinking. You could try something along those lines with your husband and see what he says.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:26 AM on Jul. 13, 2009