Was was your 1st different from your 2nd ?

Was your first pregnancy/birth of your first child different from your second?

I had preclampsia with both & had to have them both early ( 3 weeks for daughter, 4 weeks for son.) But with my daughter, I remember everything just being so wondeful, I had an emergency c-section, but I felt like everything was so well taken care of, tons of people came to visit & brought flowers and gifts, and we had a great "home coming" and everything...... With my son ( 2nd) it was awful. I was soo sick and I felt like no one did anything about it ( the morning after I was released from the hospital, I was taken back in by squad, I had severe pneumonia, and almost died!) My mom and husband were the only ones who came to visit and since I had him so early and by surprise I was completely alone when I had him, a student nurse held my hand as they did the c-section.

glamomomo

Asked by glamomomo at 12:33 AM on Jul. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• Yes!! #1 I had signs of preeclampsia so they indused. I was in labor for 23 hours!!! #2 I was indused again because of the risk of preeclampsia and I was in the early stages of labor when I came to the hospital and they hookes me up. I was dialted to 3 already funny huh I didn't even know it I thought it was BH contractions. Anyway I was in labor w/ her 6 hours.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 12:38 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• oh definatly!! i don't even know where to begin!! first of all in the weeks before I delievered #2 i began to dilate but didn't dilate as quickly as I did in the weeks leading up to the birth of #1. Labor with #2 went SOOOOOOOOO much faster than with #1. Labor with #2 was much easier because i knew what to expect. Pain wasn't as bad the second time around. Recovery was much quicker second time around. and the kids are polar opposites as well. I'm sure there is more but that is all i can think of at the moment
    Momma2beauties

Answer by Momma2beauties at 12:41 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• oh yeah.

#1 was a week late, had meconium and wasn't breathing well when she was born. i got to hold her for a minute until they whisked her away to the NICU. I didn't see her til the next day. we spent 4 days there, she in her incubator getting weaned onto room air and me shell shocked. then they let us take that small creature home!

#2 I had her, all went 'by the book' and we were sent home the next morning. I ended up passing clots and going into shock and ending up back in ER with an infection and shock. I ended up spending the next 4 days on an IV, taking care of a newborn pumping like mad and sending her home with daddy (we'd been discharged from the maternity ward so couldn't go back there - and I could keep her with me during the day but not at night they didn't have enough nurses) and a cooler of bottles. I ended up having an emergency D&C to control the clotting and infection. finally got home and all was wel
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 12:42 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Not really. The only real difference was that my second kid wasn't sunny side up like my first so he was easier to push out. But with both kids I wouldn't progress and had to be induced and just like 4 hours after starting the Pitocin the kids were ready to come out.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:14 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Both of my pregnancies were completely different. Both were boys, and I didn't have any major pregnancy, labor or delivery issues. I had morning sickness with my first, none with my second. My second was "sunny side up" but my labor was shorter, and I thought delivery of him was easier than the first. Overall, my second preganancy was much easier than the first.
    AusZachsmom

Answer by AusZachsmom at 8:56 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• They r all different.
    milmiracle

Answer by milmiracle at 9:00 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• #1 : Easy going pregnancy for the most part. I was extremely active for the first 7 months and that really helped a lot. At 33 weeks 4 days, I bled and had preterm contractions and had an overnight stay to get hydrated. 4 days before my due date, my water broke. My doctor (who was new b/c I had moved on post with my husband) told me it broke, he saw it happen. Then proceeded to tell me it didn't happen. I went to the hospital that night, they said I peed on myself. I leaked fluid went back to the hospital the next day, they told me sometimes a bubble can form off of the main sac, that's probably what it was and sent me back home. I didn't go the next day b/c I was embarrassed to be sent home. I woke up leaking really bad the next night and returned to the hospital for the 3rd time, this time they kept me and the doctor told me I had had a high rupture and that's why everyone kept telling me it hadn't broke. Cont...
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 9:37 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• The labor lasted 11h, I had an epi, my son got stuck in the birth canal, they vacuumed out his head and then realized his shoulders were stuck (BAD!) He finally got out. It was a really traumatic labor, but a good pregnancy.

My 2nd, my DD, was an AWFUL pregnancy. I was constantly tired and sick. I was miserable the whole time. Her labor was 8h and easy. I did it with no pain killers. So awful pregnancy, easy labor! LOL
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 9:39 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• So different, with #2 I had 24h sickness and I never wanted to get out of bed. With #1 I worked through the entire pregnancy, so I didn't have time to be sick. My water didn't break with #1 even though I had some spotting the morning I went into labor, just didn't pay attention cause that day we went to get his stroller! With #2 my water gushed, totally unexpectedly because she was late. #1 was 3 days early, #2 was 5 days late. Labor with #1 lasted about 20 hrs, but I didn't know until we got to the hospital and they said "when you saw the spotting this AM, yeah that should've been your first hint" With #2 I was in labor for about 5 hrs, from the moment my water broke till she was born. #1 had the cord wrapped around his neck, so I had to stop pushing for a while before he popped out and #2 just flew out of there! I knew both sexes so there was no surprise there, but wow just thinking about both brings me back!!!
    CavMamma

Answer by CavMamma at 10:18 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• All four of mine were very different. With my 1st I had terrible back labor and even though I didn't want an epidural I ended up getting one because the pain was so agonizing and I wasn't dilating very fast. My second was breech and they had to turn her and then they induced me right away so she wouldn't turn again. With my third the doc messed up my epidural and had to stick me again so I ended up in the hospital 2 days after I was released to get a blood patch for my spinal headache. And the fourth I didn't get an epidural (didn't wand to after the last one) but I was fully dilated so suddenly that it scared me when I transitioned so soon. With her I also had a 3rd degree tear that was not fun to deal with later. My youngest also had to go back into the hospital the day after we were released to be put under bili lights because her jaundice was so severe.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:32 AM on Jul. 13, 2009