Whole milk, Karo syrup, but no formula?

My dh's friend and fiance came over last night, and he happened to ask her if she was breast or formula feeding. Well, she said that they are feeding their 7 week old baby whole milk and karo syrup (plus vitamins once a day). I can't find any thing on this, but this can't be healthy can it? He is no longer getting formula, just the milk/syrup mixture.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:56 AM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• cow's milk can cause iron deficiency and internal bleeding in kids under 1 year. (and constipate them severely) IDK what on earth these people are thinking.

Cherrie522

Answer by Cherrie522 at 12:58 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• holy CRAP!

thats a disaster waiting to happen! I'd stear them in the right direction, and if I didn't know how I'd find someone who could.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 12:59 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• (I am op), yea I had a bad feeling about this. I guess their ped suggested they do this!?!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:02 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• What do you think they did before formula. I would check with a peditritian myself first if they raise the alarm, then call cps.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:05 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I am certain that can't be healthy. I mean, I would ask a doctor and see. But I would imagine that isn't right.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:14 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• i was told that kayro syrup is not to be used for babies,
    ldc90

Answer by ldc90 at 2:07 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I would nicely inform them that Karo Syrup is CORN SYRUP. That is just about the worst thing you could give a baby (or anyone for that matter). I would be more worried about the diet of corn syrup more than the whole milk (which please don't get me wrong, it is also bad). Find some information online about the horrible side effect of corn syrup on a body (and then multiply it when you are talking about such a young baby) and pass it along to them. You might also want to suggest a different pedi because theirs must be like 95 years old. People haven't done this in 50 years.
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 2:49 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Ok I used Karo Syrup with my son because we had tried everything else it was a last resort for us and it plus juice worked great for him... But it's not something you give them every feeding you give it in one bottle a day as long as it's needed and Whole milk wouldnt exactly worry me because I dont believe that any magic happens on there 1st bday that makes milk any easier for them to handle but I also thing you child need the vitamins and nutrients that are in formula and breast milk.. I would advise them they need to talk to the doctor about this diet before continuing because that poor baby's belly has to be hurting from all the Karo and that Karo should be used very carefully to keep from causing botchulism which it will if not handled carefully... I would definatly talk to them about it
    TristansMommy16

Answer by TristansMommy16 at 3:00 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• karo syrup has been told for us to \use 100s of times by our dr
    maybe her dr told her to do it
    i think its pathetic to talk about someone behind their back like this why not ask her about it instead of trash talking
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:33 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• actually.. back in the day it was carnation milk/karo syrup... you think they had formula back in the day? or that they all could breastfeed then and now we can not magically? im a PEDI nurse and now that we DO have the means to formula i wouldn't suggest that combo but those that do use carnation milk/karo/and liquid vitamins. idk why whole milk though.. that's not right it needs to be carnation milk. BUT like i said now that we do have formula i wouldn't suggest it YES the whole milk can be bad for baby if she insists on doing it switch to carnation milk
    preggoinmn

Answer by preggoinmn at 9:09 AM on Jul. 13, 2009