Whole milk, Karo syrup, but no formula? (x-posted babies 0 to 12 months)

My dh's friend and fiance came over last night, and he happened to ask her if she was breast or formula feeding. Well, she said that they are feeding their 7 week old baby whole milk and karo syrup (plus vitamins once a day). I can't find any thing on this, but this can't be healthy can it? He is no longer getting formula, just the milk/syrup mixture.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:57 AM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Kids' Health

• that can't be good.

someone needs some education.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:58 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• That's what people fed their babies in the 50's when my mom was born. Until they learned that it was a major cause of digestive problems and an increase in diabetes later in life. That woman is friggin STUPID.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:00 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I forgot to say, their PED told them to do this!?!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:01 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• HOLY SHIT! Get a new ped FAST.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:04 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Some people swear that it will keep a baby from getting constipated. (My grandmother tried to get me to feed this stuff to both of my daughters.) It can actually cause diarrhea, and has been linked to botulism, although the source was never proven.
    3_is_enough

Answer by 3_is_enough at 2:18 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• i guess i'm really old then. it's really not so bad. i've used canned milk and karo syrup with a liquid vitamin. my best friend raised all 3 of her sons on this recipe and neither one of us had problems.granted there may be some kids out there who will have problems, but it was super cheap and when formula is 30 dollars a can i'll take the canned milk and karo syrup. generic even!
    i fed my kids generic barley and rice blended in the blender with milk at 6 weeks. terrible mother i am, i know.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:00 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• their ped is a freaking quack. And she's no better.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:31 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• this is a baby destined for malnutrition and probably brain damage. please call someone to save the child's life

Answer by rkoloms at 1:01 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I have never heard of this. But, if the child is healthy and has no problems, it isn't anyone's business what or how a child is fed. I wouldn't do it, but that is my choice. I also chose not to breastfeed, I fed my son foods early-with doctor approval, does that make me a bad mom? NO!! As long as the child is being fed and has no issue, MYOB!

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:31 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Oh. My. God. I can't believe this! Here's one study:
    Five infants, aged 1 to 7 months, were given a formula of barley water, whole milk, and corn syrup (Karo) or honey. Three patients had subnormal growth, two fit the criteria for failure to thrive, and two demonstrated a microcytic hypochromic anemia. The delayed growth and anemia were corrected by institution of a standard infant formula and nutrient supplementation. The barley water formula provides less than the recommended daily allowance of iron and vitamins A and C. The illnesses of these infants and the deficiencies of the diet illustrate the importance of obtaining a careful dietary history for all infants not receiving standard diets.

(Am J Dis Child 1981;135:615-617)

I found another study where a child had scurvy from this diet.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 6:18 PM on Jul. 13, 2009