I'm putting this in "relationships" because the thing with a mom and daughter is a relationship...plus nobody ever responds in the 18+ section so I need to vent about my 18 yr old

Today she calls me from work wanting me to take her shopping...I was excited that she wanted to go shopping with me!! lol
so we get to the mall and I JUST PARKED the car and she jumps out and rushes inside! So I go in and do my own shopping and hook up with her right when the stores are about to close! she is in the changing room! I tell her to hurry up! she says to me "chill mom"..I went outside to wait..
I couldn't deal with her anymore! I wait another 10 mins. in the car and head torward home..she wants to go to Target! So I go there and tell her to hurry it up and she does. we get home and she takes the car...to a friends house with my permission but does not say "goodbye"
before I retreated to my room with my laptop i left her a note to put water bottles if the fridge.
I heard her come in and checked the kitchen
there was 1 bottle in the fridge and a gallon of milk gone,cereal, juice all gone to her room...WTF!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:09 AM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Relationships

• lol. she's just living in her own little world where the sun, moon, & stars all revolve around her. i'm sure she doesn't mean any harm, she's just a little self absorbed like most young adults are. a little talk might help, but it's nothing to blow out of proportion. good luck. =)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:20 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• naw a little talk does not help.....when I do talk to her she is like..."whats your deal mom" or mom you just dont get it"....just to name a few "blow off the mom" speeches .... just tired of the lack of communication and respect
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:35 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• When I turned 12 my mother went out and bought a punching bag, and until I went to college at 18 we'd replaced it once. It still hangs in the basement to this day, because now my 42 yr old brother and his 8 yr old daughter and 6 year old son live with them, so she's still getting some great use out of it...
    Mark Twain wrote, "When I was 14 I thought my father to be so ignorant I could hardly stand to be around the old man. When I turned 21, I was amazed at how much he had learned in 7 short years."
    Good luck!
    sweetphoenix529

Answer by sweetphoenix529 at 1:43 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I used to be like your daughter and guess what now I'm 25 and LOVE shopping with my mom. In fact I think I smother HER because I love being around her now. I have my own friends of course but I learned to appreciate and love my mother correctly. It took becoming a mother myself to get there. I always loved her but I think all teens go through this. Tell her you love her and want to spend time with her as a friend. Tell her maybe you don't understand but you'd like to and would she please teach you. That even mothers need to learn from life sometimes. Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:06 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• If she is still in school I take my daughter to shop at the start of school, I give her about $200 budget and let her shop, (if she wants to buy a $65 pair of pants she will have one pair) I must see every peice she wants but she can pick them out... I do not take her shopping again, if we are out and "I" see something she might like I will ask her if she would like it but don't "take" her shopping again until spring .... it sounds like she only wants you to pay for things not to spend time with her... if she is no longer in school .... do'nt shop with her... shop for her but not with her.... until she can respect how hard it is to work for the food and clothes for herself...
    BlessingsBegin

Answer by BlessingsBegin at 9:08 AM on Jul. 13, 2009