If your husband is older than you...

My husband is 6 years older than me. It's not a HUGE difference but I'm 24 and he's 30. Sometimes he says and does things (like get upset if I stay up late) that makes me feel like he's reprimanding me. Sometimes I feel like he dismisses me because he feels I'm childish. Or emotional. He isn't a bad man - he works hard, keeps food on the table, bills paid. I'm a SAHM who gets to start college. I KNOW that I am SO lucky. I do love him. Just sometimes I hate getting treated like since he's older than me, I get dismissed. He had a epiphany one day bc he realized I had our daughter when I was 18 and how quick I had to grow up. He lightened up a little after that but now he's starting again. Does anyone else with an older husband sometimes feel that way?

Blubuni99

Asked by Blubuni99 at 2:25 AM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Relationships

• My dh his 20 yrs older than me and yes I know what you mean. He treats me like a child. I have even said "yes dad" on several occasions. When we first got married and dd#1 was a baby and I pg with dd#2 he would literally go through the house to see what I had done all day I told him "I took care of our first born and I am producing our second....anymore questions?" We have been married 9 years.

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 2:30 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I have a husband that is 5 1/2 years older than me and I feel like that sometimes. My husband is also highly intelligent and is literally certified genius by Mensa standards. He is 25 years old and can debate with the best of them and hold his ground. I don't have a problem with him seeing what I do, I mean that he doesnt do it. He does ask me to study and study often but that's about it. He asks what i have done for the day but he doesnt make sure i have cleaned or anything like that. Sometimes he does make me feel childish and stupid sometimes but he tries not to.
    innocencexinxme

Answer by innocencexinxme at 4:19 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• My husband is 6 years older than me.  I was 24 and he was 30 when we married.  He has never treated me like a child, he treats me like an equal.  We are 46 and 52 now and that age gap has closed.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 6:53 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• my hubby is 5 years older than me...i got married at 17 and he was 22....at times he has treated me like that but once i had my son it all changed becuase he saw how grown up i could be...lol....2 am feeding, not sleeping.....taking care of another life with no help from him for the first 10 months because he didnt know how to take care of a baby...like one time i was in the shower and he hollers my name because the baby was choking on spit-up....oh yeah honey sit him up and pat his babck and calm him down...men
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 7:02 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• well girl mine is 11 yrs older than me and i hate it girl i think thats whats gonna tear up apart eventually i feel the same way he tries to treat me likea damm kid and i hate it !~~ he doesnt even like the same things i do i am watching tv and he will come in and change it becuz he says that show is for young people?? hello i am onnly 35 dammmmm good luck girl
    bklein

Answer by bklein at 7:22 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Mine is 9yr older than I am. He treats me like he should-- like an equal partner in our marriage. Anyway we have been able to get along for 20yrs now (18 married). So I guess we are both treating each other right.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 8:19 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• My ex was 13 years older than I am, he treated me like a child always double checking things and making sure I had done them right (I'm a member of MENSA), and that's one of the reasons he's my ex.

Answer by missanc at 8:36 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• My dh is 9 years older than me, and sometimes he does act like this with me. I tell him listen, I am 45 years old, I have learned something in all these years. At first he acted like he had to "teach" me how to clean the house or do the dishes!! LOL....I tell him hey buddy, I have been doing this for nearly 30 years...I got it!!
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 9:23 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• well i am not married to my man but we have a age gap i am 24 and he is 34.we got preggo 2 wks after meeting i was 19 then.i miss being young and doing young things.he is controlling he dont understand that i want some of my life back and that i can be trusted and etc. i am a stay at home mom and it drives me crazy sometimes yes thats what i wanted to do but geez i never get a break.i been with him 5yrs and no change
    alyssa1

Answer by alyssa1 at 11:52 AM on Jul. 13, 2009