Ok seriously, there is something going on with my 4yo. He's wetting himself. What is wrong?

My son is potty trained. We went on a visit to family over the weekend. He wet himself, wet the bed at night and when I checked on him he was wet again. What is going on? He also wakes up at night at least once a night and won't go back to bed unless I am with him. He is beyond being at my hip. Driving me part crazy but with the wetting, I am obviously more concerned. What is going on? What can I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:31 AM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Some sleep disturbances are linked hereditary wise. Falling into these catagories are sleep walking, bed wetting, nightmares, talking in your sleep. Does anyone in your family do these things. Bedwetting can be a side effect of haveing your REM cycle off. So instead of his body wakeing him up to go to the bathroom, he is in too deep of a sleep to go. My son has wetted the bed on and off for years ( he is now 11) and part of the problem was he was constipated. Never told us but the impaction would push on his bladder makeing him more suseptible to wetting the bed. Get some pads for incontinence under his sheets and scotch gaurd the bed. Don't make a big deal out of it becouse you don't want to make him feel bad. Talk to your Dr. it could be a medical problem that could be easily rectified. Try not to give him more than a sip of water before he goes to bed and sometimes it helped us if we woke him at 11pm before we went to bed
    goddessmom

Answer by goddessmom at 3:07 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• go so the likely hood was less that he would wet. I hope this has helped even a little, as this is what I have gathered after 8 years with this problem. Maggie
    goddessmom

Answer by goddessmom at 3:08 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• goddess mom...HE WAS constipated yesterday and took a big CRAP when we got home tonight! lol maybe too much going on but will definitely watch him and try a better night routine to see if it helps with his sleep. Otherwise we will make a dr. appt in the next week if things are the same. THANK YOU!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:22 AM on Jul. 13, 2009