• In the Spotlight:

What do you think??

When your kids get to the age of 16 are you going to buy them a car or are you going to make them buy it? I feel that we should help them buy their first car ( maby make them pay for part of it) but my husband dont. He wants them to buy it but I feel that if they are doing good in school and have a job to pay for insurance and gas that we should help. Now I dont want them running all over creation and I have to know where they are at all times but I want to help. Whats your opinion?

SD777

Asked by SD777 at 2:39 AM on Jul. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• We will probably have an extra car by then, and our daughter will drive that. My parents always had an older vehicle that we were allowed to use (responsibly, of course). It was good for everyone involved, my parents didn't have to drive us to every activity and friend's house, and we were given a vehicle to use. If we acted irresponsibly, the car went away. None of us (three kids) never had a real accident. I would think that you could have problems if your child bought their own car. How could you take it away if they were paying the car payments and insurance? I'd rather have that control when I have teens.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 2:45 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• That should say none of us ever had an accident, sorry.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 2:46 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• We plan on matching whatever our kid has saved up for a car purchase up to a maximum of 2500 match so a max of a 5k car. Teenie bopper will have to pay for their own insurance, gas and maintenance though.
    ReneaM

Answer by ReneaM at 3:32 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• They have to pay for half and they need to keep a job so they can pay for maintence and insurance and they have to maintain good grades or I will sell their car.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 4:52 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• w/ my experiences I would advise u to stick to your hubbys side on this one.
    milmiracle

Answer by milmiracle at 9:04 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I have never bought my kids a car at 16, I personally would prefer they not drive until 18, but for those kids that did, they drove our family car when it was available. We only buy them cars when they graduate from high school.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 9:16 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• BWAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA! *wiping eyes* Oh that's hilarious, the idea of buying a 16-year-old a vehicle, sure, give a human being with a not-fully-developed forebrain several tons of lethal weapon to tool around in. No chance.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 9:33 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I don't even have my own car, why would I buy one for my kids? They can do just like me and my brother did...fight, err, I mean share my parents' car. That's right, we had ONE car for a family of 4. There were only a few years of my life that I remember my parents having 2 vehicles (mostly because my mom didn't get her license until I was like 9). When we were teens we had the one car and my dad took it to work most of the time (and was gone usually 12 hours a day). If my mom needed to go shopping she drove my dad to work at 3am and picked him up in the afternoon. When my brother started working nights he would take the car or my dad would drop him off and he would take the bus home. If my brother wanted to go cruising with his friends he had to ask my parents for the car and they had to decide if someone else needed it. I never drove in high school...I had no where to go.
    My kids will share our car with us.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:18 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Thats a good question. I haven't really thought about it yet, my kids are still too young but I can see both sides of the argument. I think helping them purchase one teaches them responsibiity because they will have to put in some money towards it, but making them buy the entire thing will help them remain more responsible when they are out on the road. They will know that they worked hard for that car and they probably should follow the rules of the road and be careful with texting and driving, etc. If mommy and daddy aren't gonna bail you out, you better make sure you are not fooling around behind that wheel.

Good luck with whatever you decide, and I hope you make the right decision for your family.
    CavMamma

Answer by CavMamma at 10:26 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• His age has nothing to do with his readiness to own or operate a car. I'll wait until he's mature enough and has proven he's capable of not being influenced by peer pressure when it comes to making choices of safety that affect not only himself, but others. So 16, 17 or 24 - if he isn't mature enough to own, maintain and operate a vehicle consistently in a safe manner, then he will not have access to one until he his out of my legal care, except through his father who doesn't think safety is all that important and just thinks fun fun fun is the highest level of human existence to achieve.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 11:15 AM on Jul. 13, 2009