• In the Spotlight:

Do you respect people? In general I mean...

Do you think about other people like, "Jeez he is fat," "Gosh she needs a haircut," "Wow that lady is ugly."
Am I the only one who hears others talk like this and yet DEMAND respect?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:47 AM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Just for Fun

• years ago when I was in college riding the bus to school,
    I found myself people watching
    and thinking the first thing that came into my mind was usually negative,
    so I made myself think of just one positive thing for each person that got on the bus.
    Sometimes not so easy, but I really feels good.
    A person never knows why or how another got to the position they are in.
    A fat person eating a burger = A father who comes home to children hugging their dad
    Dirty older man who looks homeless = he has a family somewhere who loves him
    whatever you can imagine that is good. You may say that no, you can not say these things, there is no basis for these assumptions, true, but when you think negative remarks about people, these are not based on fact, so might as well put a positive thought in your head instead

just try it for a day, next time you are at a great people watching spot
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 8:48 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I am guilty of thinking some of them things.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:51 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I respect people until they give me a reason to have that taken away and then its almost never possible to gain it back. But I have never lost respect for someone based on appearance, it has to be something personal to me.
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 2:52 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Ugh.. I do this all the time.. my mother does it ALLLL the time.. my grandmother did too. I don't feel too bad about it since I keep it all in.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 2:54 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Sometimes i think those things. But it also depends on what "action" or lack there of i see them doing.

example. If i see a fat person eating two big mac meals and is in one of those scooter chairs yea. i'm gonna think "DAMN! no wonder he's fat"

But if i see a person who is overweight at MCDs ordering a salad, i wonder about that poor persons health issues and what sort of struggles they have overcame or need to overcome. And i wish them the best.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:39 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I respect ALL people upon first meeting them. My respect may waiver as their behavior or personality come through in a negative way.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:10 AM on Jul. 13, 2009