MY SON IS ABOUT TO TURN 3 IN SEPYEMBER AND HE DOES NOT SAY A WORD. I HAVE HAD HIM LOOKED AT AND TESTED FOR MANY THINGS. HE IS NOT AUTISTIC OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT MY QWESTION IS HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS PROBLEM WITH ONE OF THEIR CHILDREN? AND WHAT CAN I DO BESIDES BOOKS, SPEECH THERAPY AND ETC...I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING...

MINDYNEB

Asked by MINDYNEB at 4:58 AM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• well my son has an auditory problem and was speech delayed. At three he said one word for everything. Don't give up it will take years. My son started speech therapy at 3 1/2 went to a developmental delayed preschool and now at 13 is just phasing out of speech at school. It will take work on your part, hours with a speech pathologist and finding the right program. Saying you tried speech therapy seriously at 3. How long did he go? Your not going to see a major improvment right away. Don't give up. And yes before you say you can't afford it. Schools by law have to offer services for children with learning and developmental delays. And yes at 3 some school districts still offer services.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:09 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Have you checked with the public school system? My son gets speech therapy once a week, free, through the public county schools, and it's great! They tested him and he qualified. Maybe check with your pediatrician about your options. He should be speaking by now and you want him to get help as soon as possible since preschool/kindergarden isn't far away. Good luck!
    TylersMama05

Answer by TylersMama05 at 12:03 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Please, there's no need to yell.

Continue with the speech therapy. It's wonderful. Has he been diagnosed with anything? I ask because a friend of mine has a son who was recently diagnosed with Selective Mutism.
    Anonymous

• i have been working with the school system since october of last year. they come out 1 a week. it just seemes that he is not responding to their program. i recently put him a speech camp he goes twice a week till the end of summer. What is selective mutism? thank you all for responding..
    MINDYNEB

Answer by MINDYNEB at 3:04 PM on Jul. 13, 2009