How can I train my 11-month-old daughter to bottlefeed?

I have 11-month-old girl, still breastfeed her, she doesn't like to take bottlefeed at all, even drinking water in that. I intend to start working soon but if she wouldn't take bottlefeed I can't go back to work. Please help me to train her to accept bottlefeed.

NasMoj

Asked by NasMoj at 8:44 AM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• At 11 months, I wouldn't be trying to push the bottle because fairly soon you'll need to break that habit anyway. I would be working on a sippy cup. I got mine to transition to a sippy cup by offering a small bit of juice mixed with water - they liked the sweetness. Yes, it's a little messy - but now that it's summertime I'm taking my 8 month old out on the back deck with his sippy cup while he's in just a diaper and if it drips a little then it's no big deal.
    btw - I'm also offering him small sips of water from my cup so he's learning to drink out of a "real" cup too, but my older 3 kids were doing their own sippy cups by 10 months

Answer by missanc at 8:53 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• At 11months I would bypass the bottle all together and get a non spill sippy cup. Take her to the store and let her pick one.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:54 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I would skip the bottle and go straight to a sippy or even a straw cup.
    mag12305cmg

Answer by mag12305cmg at 8:54 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• A breastfed 11 month old should not be started on a bottle. If she needs milk while you are gone, try a sippy cup, and open cup, or an open cup with a straw.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 10:00 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Like ladysavage said, I would be offering a cup to her, not a bottle.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Yep, do the cup
    Chick

Answer by Chick at 12:04 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• At 11 months I would just switch to a cup and skip bottles.  She's old enough if you don't feel comfortable giving her a cup without a lid there are sippy, tipper and gasket cups for toddlers, at her age she's on the verge of toddling about and no longer being a baby.

Now, to get her off of breast I had no problems with the two I breastfed, I took them off and put them on tipper cups around 7 months (still had to put milk in it but no longer me being the cup).  Some little ones are tougher to take off like my friends daughter who was over a year when she started.  She finally had to put band-aids on herself and tell her daughter she had owies, lol, worked though her daughter didn't want to hurt mommy so had no problems with the cup.  Good Luck!

Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 12:20 PM on Jul. 13, 2009