Can we do something fun now?

Okay, anytime we go somewhere, park, movies, beach, pool, library, whatever, as soon as my son gets back in the van he says 'what are we doing now, what can we do that's fun?'. And if I say, 'we just did it, we will do something else in a day or two', he starts whining and falling apart and crying and saying we never do anything. I take it personally because I feel like I have been trying to do stuff with the children and all he does is complain. It's really irritating me- someone tell me how to get him to stop? I want him to happy about what we just did, not already complaining about what we aren't doing. He's 5.5 yo.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:00 AM on Jul. 13, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Have HIM put HIS "fun ideas" (approved by you first of course) on a pieces of paper. Fold them up, put them in a bowl, and have him pick "today's activity!" Maybe you could throw in a "surprise" activity too--put more of your "surprise" papers in the bowl to increase the odds he'll pick it!

Then he can't (or SHOULDN'T) complain, since he chose the activities, and he picked it!!! LOL
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:08 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Kids at that age do it all the time. My kids were like that too and I felt bad, the same way you are feeling. And after a while it was annoying me so I told him we aren't doing anything for him anymore since he isn't thankful. He hasn't done it anymore. You just have to be tough and live
    with his bad mood. There's no way to constantly please him anymore. Read that book "if you give a mouse a cookie.."
    mschanng

Answer by mschanng at 9:56 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• My daughter is the same way and it does get frustrating. I remind her that not all kids get to do fun things like we just did and that she should appreciate it. Best of luck.
    drpepper73

Answer by drpepper73 at 11:15 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• OMG! We had this conversation this weekend. I told her I am so tired of trying to please her and after staying home for awhile maybe she would appreciate the things we go and do. I take her to the movies and she complains that I don't let her play the video games there...it's exhausting. This has just started this summer. It seems the more I have let her do the more she wants. We had an ugly weekend its time she gets a dose of reality.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:43 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• sounds like mine so I have started tellinghim what we will be doing for the week on monday. Like today is monday and we are going to the library for story time. On Tuesday we are staying hom, you can play some video games in the afternoon. On Wed we are going to the Pool with some friends, that's it we will be there for a few hours....and so on. I have also bee writting it on a calander. It has helped some but not always. at least now when he says what now I can say well, what did we talk about? What's on your clander? Okay then, we are going home when we gwt there you can look and see what's up for tomorrow....
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:03 PM on Jul. 13, 2009