• In the Spotlight:

when do you start putting rice cereal in the bottle or feeding it to babies to prolong their sleep during the night?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:06 AM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I hear 6 months but not sure. I don't think you put it into the bottle either.
    mschanng

Answer by mschanng at 9:11 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• pedi nurse here- answer to that NEVER! only babies that need cereal in bottles is babies with GERD. YOU never should put it in bottles for your baby to sleep longer and actually its been proven it DOES NOT actually prolong their sleep. also... your a mother you knew that you would be dealing with a off the wall sleep schedule for quite some time. don't force your baby to do things just so YOU can get more sleep in. ask any pedi/dr unless they have GERD there is NO reason for cereal in the bottle it can be a choking hazard and your baby will sleep longer when he/she is ready. not when YOU are ready
    preggoinmn

Answer by preggoinmn at 9:13 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• DO NOT EVER DO THAT. That is a choking hazzard. Not only does it NOT work, but it's very dangerous, and phenominally lazy parenting.

ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 9:58 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• You don't. Ask your child's pediatrician when they recommend starting solids. I started mine at 4 months because our ped recommended between 4-6 months. A lot of peds are saying you should wait until 6 months old. Starting solids did not help my child sleep through the night - he had started sleeping 10 hours at night before then.

Answer by missanc at 10:01 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• The others are right. Babies wake up in the middle of the night for a reason. They are hungry and they need food. Rice cereal is empty filler, there is very little nutrition in it. By trying to use it to make your baby sleep through the night is basically skipping a meal, IF it works for you. It's also a choking hazard. One of the mamas in my due date group lost her daughter because of this.

DON'T DO IT.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 10:05 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I think I'm going to side with the pedi nurse :) I'd did reserach when people started telling me to do that and learned quickly it wasn't the best of ideas for many different reasons. And my duaghter started sleeping through the night most nights anyhow at 8 weeks. So the few nights she didn't was when people told me she needed it which didn't even make since to me! But some people swear by it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:11 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• not suppose to do that
    can you keep baby in your room, so when she wakes you are not far
    when you go to the kitchen to make bottle, go get baby, go to feed, then put her down, by that time you are wide awake and hard to fall back asleep. If not breast feeding, there are mini frigs and bottle warming plates, put in your room, try to make it as little effort as possible to feed her in middle of night
    I breast feed until she was 7 months, and most nights I could feed her and barely be awake, she was feet from by bed too that helped, and I am a very light sleeper
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 10:30 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Never.
    Solid food doesn't help your baby sleep through the night. Sleeping through the night is a developmental milestone that all babies reach at a different age, much like walking or talking.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• You never put rice cereal in a bottle. That leads to obesity.

It is a myth that rice cereal helps babies sleep longer. It only stays with them a couple of hours. The purpose of rice cereal is to provide iron and to help introduce babies to a spoon.

My pediatrician likes me to offer rice cereal at 4 months. He says if the baby takes it from the spoon well, then he is ready for it. But if the baby's tongue reflex just forces it all right back out then that means the baby isn't ready for spoon feeding and to try again in a week.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:59 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• It does not work........I did it and wish I would of not done it. Stupid advice I got from my mother in-law.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:13 AM on Jul. 13, 2009