Crib, toddler bed, or twin bed?

My son will be 2 in August. He hasn't successfully climbed out of the crib yet but not for lack of trying. I do forsee it in the near future, however, so I think it's time for a new bed. I was planning on redecorating his room for his birthday because he's outgrown the pastel, jungle stuff he has now. My question is, should I go ahead and use the twin bed my mother gave me for him or use the toddler bed into which his crib converts? I don't want him to fall out of a twin bed but I plan on getting the guards that go on the sides if I do that. Plus, I'm not a huge fan of his crib now (it was given to us as well) and I'm not sure if I want to have to deal with that as a toddler bed either. My husband thinks he should stay in the crib but he's getting braver every day and i don't want him hurt. What to do?

Momincollege23

Asked by Momincollege23 at 9:20 AM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Put the twin mattress on the floor (no frame) for now. If he falls, it won't be far at all. Put the frame under it in a year or two, when you feel more secure about his sleeping patterns.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 9:27 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I moved my boys into QUEEN sized beds when they were 18 months old--one long side was up against a wall, the other long side had a mesh guard rail (OneStepAhead.com), and the bed had head and foot boards--so it was really like a large crib!! LOL

When they moved into their rooms I selected more "mature" themes that would "grow" with them--I didn't want to have to keep buying beds and changing room themes every few years--so much easier to change bedding and accessories! So I went with a "Vintage Sports" theme in my now 7 year old son's room, and a "Vintage Train" theme in my now 5 year old's room--including a remote control suspended train and track system that follows the perimeter of his room (just above the doorway and windows that my husband installed--soooo cool!!! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:28 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I agree with the mattress on the floor. I'd much rather he roll onto the floor then to fall trying to climb out of his crib. We had a 15 month old that I did this with on the day I came in to get him out of the crib and he was hanging by his one leg on the top rail! He couldn't get up or down and I said that was it.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 9:54 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I'm using the toddler bed, but I love my crib design. :) It's great becuase my daughter can get in and out of it easily. SHe can't climb up into the twin bed yet, so it would be frustrating for her. Matteress on the floor would solve that problem too. I put body pillows next to the toddler bed so if she falls out (whcih she still does from time to time) she won't get hurt.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I transitioned my kids to a twin bed with bed rails to avoid having to buy a toddler bed that I would only use for a year or two. My kids were 2, 2 1/2, and 3, youngest still in a crib. But my daughter that I moved out of the crib at 2 was able to get out of her crib by the time I moved her to a bed.

Answer by missanc at 10:33 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• we had toddler beds for my 2 older girls (handmedowns) and only my first liked hers. middle dd was happier to go from crib to twin bed - we had a rail so she wouldn't fall out but she never did even come close to the side.

#3 we were given a cute little wood toddler bed. she went from crib to that overnight at 2. looking at getting her a big bed but she's happy.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 10:52 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• My daughter is 18 months and Im in the process of switching her beds too. I set up a double twin sized air bed in her room. She climbs on that alot and sometimes she will sleep on it. I was using it to see if she would roll out of it or not and so far so good. She has fallen off it one time, but it just scared her. She got back up and got in the bed. Im thinking of getting her a toddler bed and not a twin just because shes my only baby and Im not ready for her to have a twin bed yet, selfish I know, but If I got a twin I think she would be fine in it.
    lilmsnay83

Answer by lilmsnay83 at 11:25 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Put him in a twin bed and don't wait until his birthday. He's TRYING to climb out. Do you want to wait until he's successful with a broken leg to make the switch?
    Anonymous

• We purchased a toddler bed for DD's 2nd birthday. I like the low profile and the rails. She loves it. It's really up to you want to do. There really isn't right answer, as long as the possiblity for injury is low (mattress on floor or pillows, rails,etc). I just happen to think that the toddler bed was way cute. =)
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 10:33 AM on Jul. 14, 2009