crying it out

How old was your baby when you used the cio method for those of you who used it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:25 AM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i never did , really didnt have to but i know people that do it around 6 - 8 months
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:25 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• 9 months old. First night she cried for 15 minutes with me going in and calming her down once for a minute. Second night 10 minutes no calming and the third night she didn't cry at all. I was getting desperate for sleep. My dh was also working full time so we were all getting cranky which wasn't good for anyone.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 9:51 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I never let him "cry" it out, but I let him fuss for longer periods of time starting at 10 months.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 9:58 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I don't know the age. It depended on why she was crying. If she was obviously over tired, missed a nap type thing then I let her cio. Letting her stay up longer just made it worse. If it was just hold me forever I would hold for a bit then put down and let cry for a bit then hold again and put down for longer. I'd say that was probably 4 or 5 months? She was always really good about going to sleep and I'd been putting her down when tired and letting her fall asleep int he crib or bassinette from the get go.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Depends on what you mean by cio. I would let mine cry for up to 10 mins - anything longer than that and I felt there was a problem. Occasionally, even now at 8 months he'll cry for a minute or two when I put him down for a nap but it is seldom. I started letting him cry about 4 months - and it's SO hard, but like I said he almost never cries now at naps or nights and he sleeps for almost 12 hours at night, plus 2 naps - 1 hour and 2 hours.

Answer by missanc at 10:28 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I had a terrible time with my daughter. She used to wake every 45 minutes wanting to nurse for her entire first year.

I did a lot of research on sleep training and after "The No Cry Sleep Solution" didn't work (which you should try first) I tried the long goodbye method (which should be what you try 2nd). When those didn't work I did Ferber.

You should never do anything more harsh than Ferber. Cry it out is neglect and not sleep training. It works because you teach your baby that when he/she cries you will not be there for them. Therefore, they learn their cries are pointless and so stop.

You should never sleep train before 6 months. They're sleep isn't regulated enough for sleep training to be effective before then. If you decide to use Richard Ferber's method, you need to buy the book. There is a lot of misinformation about his method on the internet.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 11:06 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I never really let my daughter cry it out, per se. We just let her fuss for about 10 minutes each night and when she started to really cry or didnt fall asleep then I went in and got her. We did it around 6 months, but she was also taking a pacifier and her twin had been a self soother since 3 months. It took her about 3 weeks to self soothe and now she is 8 months and puts herself to sleep every nap and at bedtime without any problems. I dont really believe it letting my child cry to sleep but our method worked for us.

Try EVERYTHING else first before doing CIO though, you dont want to scar the poor babe.
    YoungTwinMommy

Answer by YoungTwinMommy at 12:03 PM on Jul. 13, 2009