How did you find your job?

This question is for moms only that do NOT work at home and are NOT SAHM.

ABPeterson

Asked by ABPeterson at 9:26 AM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Money & Work

• My mom actually was talking to her old boss and found out he was needing help. I started out as part time grunt labor and ended up being his personal secretary!
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 9:49 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Local newspaper ad. Most states put their list of jobs available through the career center online now. You should also try careerbuilder.com and monster.com.
    customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 9:51 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Do you want to know how I found my job, or do you want to know how to find a job?
    Here are the top ways to find a job:
    Networking
    Linkedin
    Combing the job boards, either individually or with a meta-search like Indeed or Simply Hired
    Looking on Craigslist
    Posting your resume on the job boards (CareerBuilder, Jobfox, Monster and HotJobs are the only ones worth your time)
    Feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions about resumes, cover letters, job search strategy & interview preparation

Answer by rkoloms at 11:45 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• References are the best way. Ask everyone you know to look for you. You can twitter it too! Also temp agencies are great, they can become a full time job and you get a chance to find out what type of companies you would ike to work for.
    http://www.evelyn1.fourpointconsultants.com
    nanaevelyn

Answer by nanaevelyn at 11:49 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Sadly, networking is the best way. I'd been through many interviews with no luck. My profession's duaghter was friends with someone who works where I work now and she got me the interview. I did get an offer from another firm, too. That one I just submitted my resume and cpa info and they called me in.

Try joining an organization for professionals. IT's a great way to meet contacts
    Anonymous

• I found my at home job actually from cafe mom. i had submitted a question and my, now, mentor referred me. I love my job! I do not have to do any paper work, sell, stock, or deliver anything! If you are interested in working from home go to www.workathomeunited.com/heathers and fill out the form and we can assist you from there. check it out! today is the last day to get your membership for just $1.00 so hurry and see if this is a good fit for you!
    nakoal87

Answer by nakoal87 at 2:36 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I applied as a joke!
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 3:35 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• My mom was working for the State as an accountant. She was the one that recommended I get enough credits to sit for the accounting civil service test. I already had a Bachelor's degree in another area, but did good in the accounting classes I had already taken. A couple months before completing the courses, I took the exam, and within a few months, I had a job offer with the State. It will be 16 years there in November. Good pay, great benefits.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 6:40 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I found my job on craigslist. it was the most aggrivating process to send my resume out 30 times a day and 90% of them were fake. being a mom, i didnt have child care so it really restricted when i could apply for things. you cant go get applications or drop off applications with a baby on your hip. but in my area EVERYTHING has their apps online INCLUDING THE DOLLAR STORE!! lol.. so i used 4 different online search engines, and forwarded my resume out on a regular basis. i had 4 hits, and finally got the job that fit what i needed in hours the most. it takes work, and hours of effort, but in the end, def worth it!!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 11:15 AM on Jul. 14, 2009