what is rcia like?

so what is rcia like? just classroom setting pretty much?
im not 100 percent im going to go catholic but i will at least start with rcia and see what happens...if i agree..if it feels right..and if it doesnt, at least i will of learned something

moki1984

Asked by moki1984 at 9:39 AM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Mine wasn't even a classroom setting feeling. It was just me, my instructor and a married couple that were like his assistants. It was very relaxed, there was lots of time for any questions I had and discussion. We also did a tour of the Church and I learned the names of the different parts of the Church...it was just very interesting and I enjoyed learning as much as I did not only about doctrine but the history of the Church as well.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 10:07 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• did they talk about the saints? i have an interest in that
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 10:22 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• It's different depending on where you go. In our parish, it was a group of people sitting in a circle sharing their life experiences around different topics of discussion within the Catholic Faith tradition. Nowadays, our RCIA program is more structured in line with the Liturgical year and Mass - we start with prayer, readings from the bible, and then take a topic that is touched upon in the evening's readings. We have workbooks to help write down thoughts and topics.

There are 4 stages of RCIA - Inquiry - which is what you would be entering into - it's a more casual setting, a time to talk about how God has touched you in your life, to discuss your life experiences, why you think you might be called to the Catholic Church. It's a time for you to get your questions and concerns out in the air. If you choose to proceed, then you will go through a Rite of Welcoming and enter officially into the Catechumenate...
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 11:25 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• In the Catechumenate, you have the more formalized learning - again, though, it depends on each parish/diocese as to whether or not they follow the national guidelines or stick to the less formal "school-year" approach. The National guidelines would require you to be in the Catechumante for one full liturgical year, experiencing the vast array of Holy Days and giving you lots of opportunities to become involved or to at least experience the fullness of the Church community. The school-year based program generally has the Catechumenate program for a few months, until Lent begins. Either way, once Lent begins, if it is discerned that you are indeed prepared to enter fully into the Catholic community, you enter the next phase, which is called the Period of Enlightenment - there is another Rite wherein you meet the Bishop or Archbishop. The Period of Enlightenment lasts through Lent is a more introspective time...
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 11:30 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• "did they talk about the saints? i have an interest in that"

A little bit. Like I said though there was plenty of time to ask questions and discuss things further so you can definitely bring that up to them and they will do their best to answer any questions you have.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 11:32 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• A time for you to look inward and prepare yourself for the final immersion - that is, Baptism, into the Church. Then at the Easter celebration, you will be baptised and enter into the Period of Mystagogy - wherein you become more fully active within the Church community, but continue to share and reflect upon your experiences within the Church and continue to learn about the paschal mysteries as you are finally experiencing them. At this stage, you are called a neophyte and not everyone really gets to experience this stage - but in an ideal setting, you would still have the support of your friends and everyone you've shared your journey with at this stage as well, to get you off to a strong start in your new faith journey.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 11:35 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Let me point out that if pou take RCIA. You are not required to join the Church. There are many parents and spouses who take it to learn more about the Catholic faith. Some convert right away some wait a while, then are those who don't.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 12:43 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• my husband said it was the most boring thing he ever did, but he wanted to learn and become Catholic so he did it. He said he learned more by going to mass and listening to the homilies. I went with him a few times it was like a round table talk about a particular topic. No test
    drink-lover

Answer by drink-lover at 2:12 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I've taught RCIA and it's always different depending on the dynamics of the group. It's not so much classroom/lecture (at least I don't do it that way) it was more discussion. There was generally some reading material people were suppose to go over, then I'd talk a bit about that and then we'd discuss, answer questions and the like.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 2:24 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Anonymous