is your hubby same religion as you?

been talking to my hubby...and his thoughts on me getting seraphim baptised are "im sure the priest talked you into this" and i was like nooo i called him and asked him...he says do whatever5 you want but he is just so negative about the church and any religion...he thinks its all bs...and doesnt care if i get her baptised or me...which i feel is easy for him to say, he was baptised already (baptised catholic as a baby) i mean i do not fully agree with organized religion, i agree man and business have tainted it a little but i dont think its completely tarnished and i wish he was a little more supportive not just "do whatever, its all bs anyways" and he thinks most christians/catholics are just hyprocrites...which yea a lot of them are but he just has so much negativity towards it all. i know better then to try and ever bring him lol...but i wish he was more positive towards it.even if i dont join a church,i want her baptised

moki1984

Asked by moki1984 at 9:46 AM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• My fiance is seriously agnostic. He leans more towards being an apathetic agnostic than an agnostic atheist, like me. We share the exact same views towards organized religion, though. We're both anti-theists.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:49 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• My DH grew up Baptist. I grew up nothing.

Answer by louise2 at 10:00 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Yes, for the most part. He's Lutheran and I'm Nazarene. Some Lutheran beliefs are way different from what I believe but that doesn't get in the way of our relationship and my hubby doesn't really believe in the things that are different from min cause they just don't seem right to him. We mostly just go to my church. But his church believes a baby should be baptized. I don't believe this though. I believe a person should have that desire to be baptized and to make that commitment with God. But it was important to my hubby and his mom so I didn't argue it.

And I would like to point one thing out. People tend to think that most christians are hypocrites. People fail to realize that we are still people like them. The only thing is when we make a mistake or mess up we ask for forgiveness. We deal with the same issues everyone else does. While yes there are some hypocrites, there are hypocrites everywhere you go. Not just *cont*
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 10:03 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• No he's not. But we got it worked out.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 10:07 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• in the church. Anywhere you go your going to have people claiming to be something or someone that they aren't. It's just a whole lot more obvious and picked out when its someone who is claiming to be a christian. Also- there are new christians who are struggling to get to the right place. Say its someone who just got saved so they are claiming to be a christian yet they are still trying to clean up their life and that can be a long hard process where people might cay say oh they are a hypocrite and they aren't.. they are just trying but messing up. If it is something important to you to be baptized and have your daughter baptized then do it. Nothing bad will come from it Just make sure you realize and educate yourself as to WHY it is important to get baptized. :) Good luck to you and your family
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 10:07 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• My husband and I both grew up Christian, although my mother encouraged individual thought and his grandmother (who is a minister) was more fundamentalist. It was a little difficult at first, because a lot of my unorthodoxies made him "uncomfortable" for a while, but I've rubbed off on him (unintentionally), and got him thinking for himself and trying to discover what he personally believes, as opposed to what he was told to believe.
    He called me one day joking that I had "converted" him to Universalism, because we like to talk religion a lot (its something we enjoy, not to change each others' minds, but just to discuss), and through our talks he had opened his mind.
    So now we're almost on the same page, which I honestly think was intended anyway, as we're so close and both plan on being active in ministry. I really do believe God molded us to go together, and being able to mesh (get along) religiously, IMO, is important.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:34 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Not that I think both spouses should be identical or even follow the same faith - they should just be able to get along well and come to compromises/agreements/ etc in regard to religion. If you get what I mean...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:35 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• We're both atheists although he's a lot more..."religion is dumb and anyone that follows it is, too" and has no problem saying it. He's even told his mom she's mental for still believing in Jesus (which just about broke her heart so now she prays for his soul all the time). I'm more "live and let live". I don't care what other people believe as long as they leave me alone.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:39 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Well, my hubby was raised Catholic, but he hasn't been to mass in over ten years. And I spoke to his mom the other day and she said she felt like more of a Pagan then anything. Anyway, none of my kids are baptised. Our families have WAY to many different religions to make them all happy with one ceremony. Of course, I said a prayer and blessing over them when they were born, but I did it privately. All I suggest is make sure you are getting yourself and her baptised for the right reason. Don't do it beacuse you are trying to "save your souls." Do it because you want to make a commitment to that religion. I was never really one for baby and/or child baptisms cause I have always felt that a person should be old enough to understand what they are getting into.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 10:40 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• And, I forgot to mention I was raised a Pentecoastal and am now a Pagan. Hubby is now more of an agnositc then anything.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 10:43 AM on Jul. 13, 2009