Global currency?

Medvedev Shows Off Sample Coin of New ‘World Currency’ at G-8

Share | Email | Print | A A A

By Lyubov Pronina

July 10 (Bloomberg) -- Russian President Dmitry Medvedev illustrated his call for a supranational currency to replace the dollar by pulling from his pocket a sample coin of a “united future world currency.”

“Here it is,” Medvedev told reporters today in L’Aquila, Italy, after a summit of the Group of Eight nations. “You can see it and touch it.”

The coin, which bears the words “unity in diversity,” was minted in Belgium and presented to the heads of G-8 delegations, Medvedev said.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:02 AM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• The question of a supranational currency “concerns everyone now, even the mints,” Medvedev said. The test coin “means they’re getting ready. I think it’s a good sign that we understand how interdependent we are.”

Medvedev has repeatedly called for creating a mix of regional reserve currencies as part of the drive to address the global financial crisis, while questioning the U.S. dollar’s future as a global reserve currency. Russia’s proposals for the G-20 meeting in London in April included the creation of a supranational currency.

To contact the reporter on this story: Lyubov Pronina in L’Aquila, Italy at lpronina@bloomberg.net

Last Updated: July 10, 2009 10:23 EDT
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Well Geithner stated he was "quite open" to this
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• A global currency is ludicrous! Instead of it just being 1 country affected by a financial disaster it would be all! Do you want third world countries factored in the value of your money? Additionally, a single currency would make it much easier to devalue the money purposely. It is an open door for crooks and dictators.

I am a Christian and am very familiar with the book of Revelation. I know God's plan. I just want to make sure it is God that implements it not a bunch of idiots on a power trip.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:51 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Don't be alarmist. The Russian president was just being dramatic. What he, the French and the Chinese were actually talking about was a move away from the Dollar as the world reserve currency towards using a bundle of currencies. IE instead of China holding 10 billion dollars, it might hold 5 billion dollars, 2 billion yen, 2 billion euros and 1 billion UK pounds.

A loss of power for the USA? Possibly.

The last day of judgement? I doubt it.
    Clairwil

Answer by Clairwil at 12:10 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I don't think the people will allow it.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:23 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Oh, great !
    >:-(
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 3:34 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• sigh so often I had warned of this and yetcalled a hack. people get ready the end is near.
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 7:25 PM on Jul. 13, 2009