Does swearing help?

http://pagingdrgupta.blogs.cnn.com/2009/07/13/bleep-that-hurts/
Some CNN study that swearing might help when your in pain. What do you think about this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think sometimes it can be the equivalent (stress/anger release-wise) of pounding on or throwing something! But swearing doesn't cause physical damage...they're just words. However, those conscious of the people around them manage to scream into a pillow, others are not as classy or conscious (don't care) of their surroundings!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I think I know why I don't have to take meds for pain. LOL.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:51 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• pass the f__ing potatoes!!
    i love to swear. now i know why.
    QuinnMaie, that's great! me, i'll have a pill too.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 11:16 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I don't know about everyone else but it helps me!
    drpepper73

Answer by drpepper73 at 11:49 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Purely psychological.

But it helps me!
    SarahColbert

Answer by SarahColbert at 12:45 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• heck yeah it helps ease pain.
    lady-J-Rock

Answer by lady-J-Rock at 12:52 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• My experience of hearing others swear confirms what you're saying here - it is EXACTLY like being hit by that person.

So, to the extent that you would feel your pain eased by smacking around the people in the room with you, then sure, cussing will "help". Personally, I'd rather cultivate the self-mastery of centering and relaxing. I wouldn't want to create the pain in those around me. It's just wrong. (But from a selfish angle, after I die I'll be suffering the pain I have caused ... )

I was brought up with no swearing - my mom used to say "Hell's bell's and panther tracks !!" or "I shall fetch thee a dour ding upon thy pate !!" ... then I myself started in with "Rats!" and "Good grief" when I was a teenager.

So I didn't have bad habits to resist when I became a mother. It was lucky, because I firmly realized that children subjected to cussing, especially their own mother cussing, IS quite concussive - like being hit
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 2:36 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Hell yea it helps
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 3:50 PM on Jul. 13, 2009