keeping bathroom safe with toddler potty training

daughter almost two, we have had a potty chair for her for a few months, I use the bathroom with her and she watches and we talk about it flush wave bye bye etc.

question is
now I want to have potty chair in the bathroom, so she can sit on when she wants (it was in livingroom near the bathroom. How do I keep her safe when she has excess to bathroom. cabinets i can lock, or take stuff out, toilet not too worried that she will go head first into (or should I be-she is two) It is the tub that I worry about and I just spoke to a mom with a child 22 months that went head first into tub, knocked her tooth and needed a root canal! how scary

any bright ideas how to make bathroom available to her to start doing the bathroom thing, but keep her safe from bathroom hazards
or
is her chair on the livingroom not a big deal
want to give her the whole idea about going potty is in the bathroom and option of the Big Girl toilet

boredmom44

Asked by boredmom44 at 10:15 AM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Personally, I have a potty seat on the bathroom toilet and the potty chair in the living room. Then I keep the bathroom door closed wtih one of the baby things on the handle. I like having the potty close by right now so it's great to have it in both places ( I also have a sticker chart in both places). I take her in the bathroom if she's closer to that when I see she needs to go, but do not want her to have access as it's no longer baby proofed (I keep bleachy water in there to clean her big girl panties that she pees in most every day!) I'm actually not concerned with the tub, but more so with her falling in the toilet or just palying with it and putting all the toilet paper in then flushing :) My daughter is two also.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:20 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I think they make toilet locks for the big toilet if you do start to worry about that...not sure how they work. I don't know that there is much you can do about the tub :( Kids are kids and stuff will happen no matter how safe we try to keep them. Good luck with the potty training!
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 10:19 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• There are spicket (sp?) protectors you can put on in case she gets in and falls. Maybe just a big soft tub matt for inside so it's not as harsh if she falls in?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Jul. 13, 2009